Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Light Bar for Quilting Machine

Great idea....good lighting...Thanks for sharing...

Gordon,

Great job. You said your set up was consideraly less, how much less? Could you make it for under $300? I am considering buying an INNOVA myself and this would certainly do the trick. Did you use aluminum?

You did a wonderful job. Congrats to you.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

How hot do you get under the lights? I have 3 lights and it gets hot.

Great Idea!!!!
    Lori - MamaBear

Nice job! It's very similar to the set up my dealer suggested.

Hi all.

Wow. Lots of questions. I will do my best to answer them.

Sides and top are 1" square aluminum - 8 foot lengths. Track light. I used 2 sets of lights (Portfolio) that were on sale, about 35.00 ea, and the 8" track light bar. The wiring connection is also from the same Portfolio product. It has a built in switch. I did shorten the cord somewhat. I drilled holes in the one side top and bottom of the support bar for the wire to go down. Use rubber grommets (also from Lowes) to ensure no rubbing of electric cord with the aluminum bar.

I used double faced tape to attach the switch to the outside of the bar. Extension cord from the bar to the surge protector.

The connectors for the 90 degree angles and for the top bar, I bought online

Purchased were:

2 - Way Corner for 1" Square Tube, Black - quantity 2.
    End Cap for 1" Square Tube, Black - quantity 2
    Straight Connector for 1" Square Tube, Gray - quantity 1

Remember the old adage. Measure twice, cut once. Make sure your cuts are square and file down the ends. Depending on your quilting frame, you may need to use "U" bolts, or in my case since the frame has holes, I had to line up the bolt holes. I used 2.5 inch bolts, washers and nylon nuts to connect.

To ensure that the 90 degree connections (which are injected nylon) I used small metal screws to keep it together. I needed to use a connector for the top bar, as the aluminum is 8 feet long and the table is 12 feet.

As to heat from the lamps. My wife has not said that they are hot, but, you can swap out the halogen lights for LED, but that will be an added expense.

Total cost was just about $350.00 and took about 3 hours to construct - including plenty of coffee breaks while I pondered.

As always, when dealing with electricity, be careful and "think" about what you are doing. The lights provide excellent light all along the table and can be adjusted or moved along the track. Wife says it's very constant along the table with no shadows.

Wife did mention to me that I aught to make up some kits for those that want them, but don't want to spend $1,000. She says, that extra buys a lot of thread, batting and a good size stash of fabric! What do you think??

As to the question about the green leaders. Wife has had no indication that the green rubs off on anything.

I think kits are a great way to go!!

Wow! Looks like a great system!!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Wow! Great set-up. Thanks for posting photos and instructions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast