Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Look at my Murphy bed/design wall!!

Look at my Murphy bed/design wall!!

For the past 13 years I have shared my sewing space with our guest room. About 2 years ago I figured out that since we only have guests stay 2-3 times a year I could surely put that space to better use. My husband didn't want to give up having a "real" bed to offer, so he came up with this idea. He built me this Murphy bed and now I have room for guests & the rest of the time I have open space and a design wall that measures 62"x62". Pretty cool, huh!?!?

He isn't a "finish" carpenter but I think he did a great job. We ordered the mechanism online and he got busy. It lifts down so gently that I can do it by myself. The 2 outer handles become the legs.

I can't describe how exciting this has been for me. I couldn't wait to put my string quilt blocks on and now to rearrange them so there won't be big clumps of one color together. That's the beauty of a design wall, isn't it!? ;-)

I have a 5' table (folds in the middle) that I cut on that goes in front of Murphy and then moves over near my machine when I want to do quilting on my DSM.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Oh, that is so cool, and it's like having two rooms for the price of one! Your DH is a keeper, as they say. Enjoy it.

Well, isn't that quite an ingenious solution! Looks great.

You are so fortunate to have a husband that could install the unit. I had to have one installed. It was the smartest thing I have ever done. My best friend did it first, when I saw hers, it was so much better than putting in a hide-a-bed in the room. Hope you really enjoy having yours.

Blog Entries
    What a great idea. And I love the quilt on the bed too.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

That is so cool what a great room.
    Juliebelle

We have talked about this IF I ever get a sewing room again. TUSM for the pics! Showed to dh and he said..ok will do when we move! MOVE..not ready to MOVE...another four letter word like DIET and FOOD PLAN~~
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Power Poster
    I want one and I don't even need another bed! What a great idea!

What a great idea!

What a great idea. It sure makes a difference in the space you have. Thank you for sharing.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast