Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house >

Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house

Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house

Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM

Keep in mind, if you will have a moving company pack and move you, anything you self pack will not be covered during the move.
For instance, my featherweight I made sure they packed it and it was packed well. With the carry case packed separately. That way, I could file a claim if there was damage. If I packed it and it got smooshed by another box, dropped, whatever. I couldn't have filed a claim. If you pack for storage, don't be afraid to make them repack. If you have the original packaging, that's great. Put the item back in there, but make them double pack it, again so it will be covered .
Old 01-20-2015, 04:50 PM

We are moving ourselves. DH has his eye on the UHaul he thinks we'll need. But that is great advice for those using a moving company.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 PM

I know this sounds crazy, but when we sold our house almost 8 yrs ago, we live in KY and sold it to a couple from Florida. Anyway, story is the lady saw my bright yellow peg board and that was what drew them to look at the house more closely. Funny I know, but true.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:13 PM

If you list with a realtor, he/she will definitely want it packed up and stored. Most of them use stagers today.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

We are in the process of moving but are lucky in that one son lives in new town so I've already taken my sewing machines to his house. We've also taken a 15 foot UHaul of attic and outside room
overflow. Got moving estimates (which don't match) and are finishing up the cosmetics before contacting some realtors. Lots of stuff pared down.

Any other advice appreciated.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:36 PM

When I moved several years ago, I packed every extra thing I could and put everything in boxes in the basement, stacked neatly. To make the house look as big as possible as it was only 900 square feet. House sold in one day!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:06 PM

Could you pack up all but 2 projects to get you through the winter, so as to still continue your hobby during cold months? I'd go nuts without being able to sew, but (like you) we plan to list our house in the spring and my sewing room will have to revert to being just a guest room . I have a lot of clearing to do ,but I know that selling houses is all about making as much of your square footage show . No clutter.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 PM

30 years in the same house, big accumulation of dishes, glassware, etc from 3 aunts, 2 grannies. We moved and it was hard, but I packed up my sewing room. I missed sewing a lot, but I had so much household stuff to move and deal with, I really didn't have time for sewing anyway. Shortly after settling in the new house, we had other life changing events (Mom passed away and in laws got moved to Asst living) so we had to deal with 2 MORE houses and it was a another year before I could unpack the sewing boxes. I made myself do it and it worked out all right.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM

When we were looking for a house to buy,the one thing that sold me on the house we bought was tge lower level finished laundry roon with a large alcove on te other side lined with counter...l just knew it would be my perfect sewing space. So maybe leave the sewing/craft room...if guys will buy because of the workshop in the garage, certainly a woman cave would have equal appeal.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:59 PM

We sold in early July. We were very, very lucky to be able to sell privately without putting it on the market. The buyer's relative was a r.e. broker and helped arrange the closing etc. My sewing room was chock a block full when we showed it to them but their minds were made up that they wanted our house. They also understood that it was my last year teaching and that I had to get my classroom squared away before I tackled the sewing room. Both parties were happy (them and us)! So this problem I was worried about...didn't even end up to be an issue. Now, the biggest issue is dealing with all of our boxes and sorting, repacking, and passing things along.
Thank you for all of your advice! My bit of advice is to get started earlier than you think you need to. Wish we had done that but now it's water under the bridge.