Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine needle storage

Machine needle storage

Here's my answer for storage of machine needles. This little plastic box holds 12 pkgs. of needles and comes in many other sizes. I use another one to keep my quilting safety pins in. I bought them at Office Max but assume any office supply store has them. The boxes snap closed on the sides so no spills.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I also write on the back of the needle pkg. when they were purchased.

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Grant View Post
    I also write on the back of the needle pkg. when they were purchased.
    I'm totally curious as to the reason ... as far as I know there's no Best Before Date when it comes to needles ... so please solve my confusion! Thanks!

The needles I buy, come in the little plastic cases just big enough to hold the needles. No extra cards to store.
    I keep mine in a smaller plastic container that has dividers so I can sort according to size/type.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

probably just for her own information. My MIL dates everything she buys, we kind of rib her about it, but when you live alone it is a good idea to know how long that can of beans has been there or if you really need TP. and far easier than an Excel spread sheet.

At a garage sale I found a metal box with a drawer that was made for small tool. It is about 12" X 12" by about 1" high.
    It holds perfectly a tray with filled bobbins and my needle packets. Perfect. I added a depression era glass knob which I love.

[QUOTE=QuiltE;5785659]I'm totally curious as to the reason ... as far as I know there's no Best Before Date when it comes to needles ... so please solve my confusion! Thanks!

It's a habit left over from finding unused thread that I purchased in 1970! Just want to be sure I use up the older products first.

PatG .... thanks! I was starting to wonder if there was something I'd missed!

KalamQ ... I totally understand how things can sit around for eons, if we're not careful.
    And when it is food, as you suggested ... you can never be too careful.
    For needles, I don't get quite so concerned.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Watch Staples for sales on these little boxes......

they have them for $1.00 each but one time, I was able to purchase them for $ .25 each....

That's right, a "quarter" each and did I ever store up on them..Use them for everything and they look so cute on my shelves.........

Blog Entries
    Speaking of "use by" dates---my husband is retired AF (since 1980)--and every time the AF moved us, kitchen cabinets just got raked into packing boxes (you know!). Now we have finally settled down, I guess, we have lived in this same house for l6 plus years and not too long ago we had a lesson in our fce club meeting that addressed "use by" dates; so being the astute person I am, I came home and looked at all the dates that I could find in my house. You'll never guess what I found in my spice rack--pumpkin spice priced at l7 cents....when was that ever? I should have saved that for a collector, huh?
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

I use Altoids and a few misc. metal boxes and write on the lid in permanent marker what type needle is in each box. I store them in a shallow drawer next to my sewing machine. I always take a pack with me when I go to classes or retreats or workshops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast