Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Making Progress . . . >

Making Progress . . .

Making Progress . . .

Old 01-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Default Making Progress . . .

Here is the new cutting table, it's adjustable height so DH and I don't have to argue about what height the table should be. It will have a plywood top put on, but we have to cut it down to size first. It's the same top we used when the table was sitting over the daybed. I like having a smaller table.

I've still got lots and lots of organizing to do. DH and I had to move lots of stuff around so we could get the furniture moved. The Long Arm went to the shed.

The dining room table when back in the Dining Room (that's the top for the cutting table sitting on top- have to haul it to the shop to trim and then it goes back upstairs) Still have to get the chairs out of the storage shed.

The Daybed is now in the small upstairs room instead of under the cutting table. Now when DD visits, she can have a bit more privacy, and I can still sew!

I had most of my stash stored in totes under the long arm, so now I'm using the shelves I had my Singer collection on for the stash - going to take a long time to get this orgainzed, right now I'm working on getting the totes empty so I can get them out of the way.

Been working on getting the machines moved downstairs so they can be moved out to the Shed - DH made me three more shelves for the shed. It's as disorgainzed out there right now too! The machines will stay in the house until I get the shelves moved into place.

Once the totes are emptied, I'll be working on getting the sewing room put back together -right now stuff is all piled up - I had to move it all out of the way to get the day bed out of there!

There are 11 sewing machines hidden in this stack, most in cabinets that will stay in the house

There are five sewing machines in this stack, all will stay in the house. - opps, make that 6! I always forget the cute little green Sew Handy on display!

These machines will also stay in the house, my FW collection along with some of my Singers.

I've also got another 14 machines around the house that will stay - most of them are treadles, with a few hand cranks.

I'm hoping to get things organized so I'm not tripping over Sewing machines anymore. And so I can see my fabric so I don't keep forgetting what I've got.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-08-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your updates!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 AM

Looks like you have a great plan in place and a good start on it all! Wow on all those machines!!!! I have a few, my main Machine is an Elna Quilter's Dream II. I have collected 1 Singer treadle, 1 Singer hand crank, 1 Singer featherweight and 1 old Singer (I don't remember what it is...I felt sorry for it at a yard sale and bought it). I also have a Brother that I keep in our 5th wheel.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

You have a good plan but take it easy and don't too much and end up injuring yourself.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:34 AM

You are making progress. It's good to see the stick-to-it-iveness! (I have none these days.) It's looking awesome already. A welcoming place to enjoy.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:36 AM

This morning's pictures - Yesterday DH and I got the table top resized and installed. DH also made me a ruler board that is mounted on the end of the cutting table. It's 3' wide by 6' long. It was 4' wide before, but I couldn't reach all the way to the back anyway. I like having the extra foot between me and the ironing board.

I have my sewing area set up now. My old multi-purpose machine will go back into the cabinet in the middle. I'm very glad to have room to have that one out. The one to the left is my 12 year old Pfaff embroidery machine. Bought used, and I've only used it a few times.

This is DH's sewing area, I'm slowly getting it uncovered for him!

And the new Stash room. I ran out of shelf space, I guess that means I have to stop buying for a while! I'll work on folding some each day and eventually get through it. I'm going to look for comic book cards for my smaller pieces.

I have more shelves behind the door - once I get my puzzle box collection moved to the shed. I have color sorted scraps stored in the closet.

And the daybed - right now it's piled with UFO's, so that will be a big goal, see if I can clear the bed! That quilt is the first one DH long-armed, so it gets "pride of place". The daybed has two large storage drawers, I'm putting my precuts in one, and I plan on storing bedding in the other (and getting it out of my downstairs closet!

Old 01-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

My, my DH thought I had a lot of sewing machines (6), before we moved to an apt. I had one machine in a cabinet that I loaned to my sister when her machine died, and sadly, when she passed away my niece asked if she could have it for her daughter who had been very close with my sister. Another sewing machine in a cabinet went to my new DIL,, my first sewing machine - a Stradivaro, which weighed a ton went to the swap table at the town incinerator - it really only liked sewing on heavy fabric. I brought my Janome 4000 with me, as well as my little Brother which I got for free at the swap table, and which sewed great the instant I brought it home and I really think it does closer zig-zag stitches better than my Janome. I also have a Sears Kenmore, another freebie from the swap table; however, it makes a lot of noise so it needs to be checked out. However, I really like how you are showcasing your many older machines, thanks for sharing your update on organizing your sewing room; I'm still struggling with that, however, I only have a small sewing area which is part of my bedroom, now that we moved from a 3-bedroom home to a 2-bedroom apt.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Banned

You're making great progress. Unlike me, my progress is at a standstill. I keep telling myself the house isn't gonna get built if I don't finish up and turn in the plans. I want everything to be done and over with, I just don't want to do it.

Cari
Old 01-09-2016, 01:12 PM

You and your DH are doing a great job getting organized. Keep going!
Old 01-10-2016, 04:33 AM

it's coming along nicely... I am amazed how much fabric you have. : )