My handyman friend brought over the base and the top yesterday morning and it didn't take him long to attach the IKEA Expedit units I'd put together on Friday. We used THIS tutorial from IKEA Hackers as our guide. I had asked him to make the base smaller so I wouldn't trip over the edges and he took it a step further by angling the edges which I love!
He suggested using melamine instead of plywood for the base and top which was an easy sell - such a durable surface, easy to wipe clean and no painting required. He also added the edge trim so it's nice and smooth and won't snag any fabric. It's on casters so I can move it around - the top is 4' x 6' and the table is 30" (counter height) tall.
I am going to be adding some storage at the ends of the table once I've decided what I want where. I've got some IKEA towel bars and S hooks for my ruler collection and other tools. I've got a small pegboard unit and some magnetic strips too. My head is spinning with ideas... but those things will have to wait until I've had a chance to "settle in". I'm ready for a week of sewing and putting my dream table to good use!