Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My NEW sewing room--in the basement

My NEW sewing room--in the basement

I posted a couple of weeks ago asking for advice about moving my sewing room to the basement. Well, over the weekend we did it. We first moved the treadmill to my husband's workshop, then moved all my sewing stuff downstairs. Got it semi-arranged, knowing there needed to be a LOT of storage. Then we went to my brother's for my nephew's birthday, and saw these amazing 'cubbies' that they had the kids' toys stored in--they got them at Ikea, so it was off to Ikea for us, since these would be PERFECT for a sewing room!

The ultimate plan is to replace the thin piece of carpet with something else--not sure what. And my DH is going to put in a 'real' ceiling, probably a drop ceiling with MORE lights.
    Also, I have a wall hanging which should be coming back from the quilting lady SOON, so that will get hung up in the room too which will add color.

I'm going to post the pictures as 'before' and 'after'--before being the initial move of the sewing stuff, and after being once everything is in place and organized!

First picture--my table with machine.
    Name:  door1.jpg
Views: 4134
Size:  215.0 KB
    AFTER we got new stuff:

Name:  machine2.jpg
Views: 4234
Size:  82.6 KB
    The 'cutting table corner', before.

Name:  cuttingcorner1.jpg
Views: 4215
Size:  193.0 KB
    Cutting corner AFTER. I rotated the table to the other wall.

Name:  cuttingcorner2.jpg
Views: 4138
Size:  206.4 KB
    Storage corner, before.

Name:  storage1.jpg
Views: 4126
Size:  77.1 KB
    Storage corner, after. These are fantastic for storage!

Name:  storage2.jpg
Views: 5233
Size:  102.8 KB

View from the doorway into the room.
    Name:  fromdoorafter.jpg
Views: 4132
Size:  94.1 KB
    My husband's workshop is through the door to the right of my book/fabric shelf.
    Another shot of the cutting corner--put the dog bed in there for my dog.
    Name:  doorwayleaving.jpg
Views: 4179
Size:  106.2 KB
    In the above photo you can see a little of what's outside my room--our family room has double doors to outside, so it's not extremely 'basement-like'.

My crochet storage area--bottom is yarn, top shelf is thread (my favorite). I got a table top ironing board from Ikea so my regular ironing board doesn't take up floor space, and can stay upstairs for ironing hubby's shirts.
    Name:  yarnthreadiron.jpg
Views: 4194
Size:  71.1 KB

Thanks for taking a tour of my new sewing room! I love it!
    Last edited by 40MPHK9; 02-13-2012 at 12:15 PM.

That is looking really great!! Love those cubbies!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy creating in there!!!
    Hilary

You did a great job. Everything looks so fresh and orderly. You'll have lots of fun in that room.

Power Poster
    What kind of carpet is it? If it's something you can iron on, I would leave it for now. I like to iron my quilt sandwich when I'm using fusible batt on the carpet in my basement. It gives me a nice big surface and I don't have to worry about damaging it because it's old anyways. Just a thought, of course you can do what works for you. Your new space is looking GOOD!

Love you space can you tell the name of the bookcases we do not have and Ikea close but I would like to order online thanks
    Juliebelle

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebelle View Post
    Love you space can you tell the name of the bookcases we do not have and Ikea close but I would like to order online thanks
    Those are called "Expedit" cubbies, and the actual bookshelf unit is "Billy".

That looks fabulous! Love your organization & storage. Gives me some ideas for setting up my stuff. Enjoy your new space!

What a perfect place to create! Love it!
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

Your room looks great! I love the cubbies!
    Gloria 

Banned
    Wonderful space, so roomy and airy! I use cubbies for fabric storage too and love them!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast