Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
My next organizing project for my stash! >

My next organizing project for my stash!

My next organizing project for my stash!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Question: aren't the comic boards 6.5" x 10"? A fabric usually folds to 11", don't you have 1/2" or more fabric extending from the top of the board? I like the idea of having the board extend beyond the fabric (12") then I can label how much is on the bolt and also it can be handled by the board without soiling the fabric, and, too, by standing the board on end with the board extending I can dust the shelving w/o soiling the bottom edge or fold. Or am I being anal???? Getting ready to order boards when this occurred to me.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 PM

I buy the foam core boards online from Dollar Tree. You get 25 boards, so I order 2 boxes. I mark each board off and get 4-- 8 1/2" x 11" and 3 FQ boards from each one, so it's a lot of boards. They are acid free and you have to make sure that is what you are ordering. I have the shipped to the Dollar Tree store and the send me an email when they are at the store. I love having fabrics on the boards and in my book cases. They are sorted by color and theme and put together by collection for some quilts. Makes for easy storage. Much better than in bins because I could never tell what was on the bottom to find something. Works for me...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Our local Dollar Store will order them for you and you can get several different boards cut from a large board, I believe about 18"by24", before that I went to a sign shop, after calling around first, and purchased CoraPlast boards from them, then I cut them to the needed sizes, and am currently in the process of folding my fabrics on these boards, I can see what I have when I look at the cabinets holding my fabrics, by the way, I use small self stick labels to right down the amount of yardage on each board, so I could see at a glance exactly how much was on each board.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:04 AM

ULine also sells a foam core board the right size if you don't have a way to cut your own. I mix my boards...short yardages on comic boards and longer yardages on foam core. Love being organized this way and originally got the idea from this board. Works great...I had two closets I could devote to my stash. Got shelves put in each and away we go....love it!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:29 AM

What kind of sick mind does this??? LOL Where is adventure of the hunt? The thrill of discovering fabric from 1979? What are we coming to? It is wonderful to look at but not for me....
Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I ruler folded my fabrics several years ago. After that I ruler fold any fabrics I buy, after they have been washed and dried. Only takes a few minutes and fabrics are so neat I usually don't need to iron them, only the folds. I buy mostly lafge yardage and cut off what I need. I sort my scraps and put each size in little bins.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I ruler folded my fabric, it is in drawers. I didn't use any boards -- even the smallest pieces do just fine without boards. I didn't want the expense of buying the boards and didn't want to have to wait til I got to the store to get boards. When the urge to fold hit I just went with it.
I did this also & used a 4" x 14" ruler to fold fat 1/4's & 1/2's. Folded ends up & fit perfectly in the drawers for viewing. I find I use more of them this way & don't lose them so often.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM

jeanneb52, You are funny!

Thanks to all for making my morning good.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 AM

I also used the comic book boards and will wrap up to 6 yds - anything larger I ruler fold. Yes the fabric is a little larger than the board but it works for me. I went one step further and used a hole punch on the corner of each board and used the merchandising tags (got at Staples) to put the yardage on it (in pencil) then just put the string through the hole. Now I know what the yardage is but if I use some I can erase and put the new yardage on it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 AM

I just found a picture of a few of my bookcases, so far we have 4 down one fall and 6 down another. Luckily they are wide halls plus I got bookcases that are only 9" deep.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455324[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bookcases.jpg