Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose >

Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose

Need Ides for storing those things you always use, then lose

Old 01-31-2015, 12:44 PM

I bought a bucket from lowes and a handy mans carry thing with all kinds of pockets. it fits inside the bucket. You have pockets inside and out the bucket plus you have the whole inside circle of bucket to put bigger things.you can cover the bucket with a plastic bag if it rains when you take it some where. You could quilt around the handle to make it easy to carry. I take it with me where I have to go travel or to a class.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Hi -
I have had the same problem...and came up with a solution that works well for me. Check out this post on my blog...my "Stitcher's Pocket Pouch"! http://uggabearcottage.blogspot.com/...ket-pouch.html
Old 02-05-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Juliebelle View Post
I use a big soup cup that was going to the goodwill since we never used it. It deep enough to hold seam ripper, scissors, my cleaning brushes, anything else that I need at the machine. Works great and does not take up a lot of space.
In this same way...I went to GW and found some larger, taller colorful cups that were perfect for rotary cutters, pencils, that purple thang, etc....and they add some color and nestle nicely in corners of working areas.......
Old 02-05-2015, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jusmom01 View Post
Hi -
I have had the same problem...and came up with a solution that works well for me. Check out this post on my blog...my "Stitcher's Pocket Pouch"! http://uggabearcottage.blogspot.com/...ket-pouch.html
Cute..rather than construct a " pouch"- I think I have a few pair of jeans stashed(haha) - will just cut one of the back pockets out leaving a bit of demon, or cut with pinking shears(?).... And could even use that bedazzler that's buried somewhere to deco my hexies........great idea!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 AM

"so the dogs can't misplace things on me" - LOL!!! I have a cat who has a preference for my makeup brush, it relocates often!

As for the answer to the question, my machine doesn't sit flush on its table, and there is a raised "table" of sorts that meets up to the machine for quilting purposes. This little table is always there, so my necessities sit underneath it quite handy. The table is clear plastic, so I can see what Ineed. I have a 6" frying skillit that I use to corral the smaller pieces, like seam ripper, screwdriver, smaller scissors, chalk, etc. Works nicely.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM

I love my dollar store caddy for keeping things near and organized. It is very handy and easy to grab something and pop it right back in when I am done using it. It sits next to my sewing machine and the small wire unit I use for my leaders and enders projects.

I also attached a plastic ruler to the desk in front of my machine for quick reference measurements. It's always there and ready to tell me if my seam is right or my block size is accurate.
Attached Thumbnails dollar-store-caddy.jpg   handy-ruler-checking-dimensions.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I have them distributed all over the house, especially at the ironing board, my spot for watching TV and by the sewing machine. Guess what? I still have to hunt for them!

Oh, well, it gives me a little exercise every time I sew.
I am in the same boat as cathyvv, spend more time hunting them down. Been thinking of making one of those pouch machines but my Bernina sits inside a well.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:03 PM

In my old sewing room, I hung one of those shoe holders on the back of the door and put all of the things that I wanted to easily find in the compartments. My doors in the new house fit too tight at the top and I can't hang it so I am floundering to find a place for all the really important little things that I can't hang on pegboard hooks. Loved the shoe holders.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 PM

I have a mug that has a quilty saying on it and I keep my snips, tweezers, small ruler, seam guide, etc in it right next to the sewing machine. If I move to a different machine, I pick it up and go. If I think of it, I will put a pair of reading glasses in it (I have several pairs), but usually they are on my head or around my neck. Nevertheless, I still find myself patting the cutting table or ironing board trying to find something (usually my snips).
Old 09-04-2016, 10:07 PM

I have small metal buckets (one for each machine) that hold scissors, ripper, machine tools, etc . For quilting days out I have a small tote that the little bucket fits in and add whatever else I need that day for the project I'm planning to work on. Still trying to figure out something for rulers and pins...
At home I have a pegboard and rack for rulers and cutters and a master notions container. When working on a project I keep a small tray to the right of my machine as a "catcher"