Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
New Sewing Space, TINY! - Need Suggestions Please >

New Sewing Space, TINY! - Need Suggestions Please

New Sewing Space, TINY! - Need Suggestions Please

Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by born2bfree67 View Post
use a table that you will place on lifts and you can use the underneath for storage.
I've got to go take a look at your video. I'm curious about the table on lifts.

~ Cindy
Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Instead of just windows how about a skylight over your sewing area?

I would put a countertop all along the 1/2 wall with one section low enough for the sewing machine. Than put cabinets underneath with drawers and doors. I don't know how tall you are but this would be for me (5.5 tall) about the right height for cutting and working. Or instead of cabinets use roll out bins and drawers for ease of finding stuff. Use clear storage that you can see thru.

Last edited by dakotamaid; 11-06-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM

WOW, my kids and family think I have too much yardage, but wow, you are loaded, I am so envious of the amount of space you have, good going, you can quilt through all those storms on the east coast for days without having to leave your house
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 AM

I once had a sewing space very near to what you are describing. There are times I still think it was the most efficient space I ever had! LOL I had quilts hung over the railing to block the view and had rolling storage around the staircase. That way I could roll a cabinet over to the workspace which let me utilize it as extra workspace (this was my ironing board) and quicker access to fabric, thread, etc.. Mounted on my partial wall I made a storage out of fabric that held my pins, scissors, etc. I had two outlets that were right above the table top so it was easy to plug in machine, iron, etc.. I wish I still had those, LOL. The older I get the less I like the crawl under the table task. I had cabinets that my DH made that was part of the frame (the ends) to the workspace for storage. Then he made me a roll under the workspace cabinet for more storage. We had high ceilings in this room so he made me a shelf that pulled up and down toward the ceiling where I could store things that were seldom needed. Kind of like those garage shelves they sell for the top of the garage. We were so squished in that little house with both of us and three kids and a couple of dogs, but it sure was a warm and loving home and remembered with fond memories.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by T-Anne View Post
I once had a sewing space very near to what you are describing. There are times I still think it was the most efficient space I ever had! LOL I had quilts hung over the railing to block the view and had rolling storage around the staircase. That way I could roll a cabinet over to the workspace which let me utilize it as extra workspace (this was my ironing board) and quicker access to fabric, thread, etc.. Mounted on my partial wall I made a storage out of fabric that held my pins, scissors, etc. I had two outlets that were right above the table top so it was easy to plug in machine, iron, etc.. I wish I still had those, LOL. The older I get the less I like the crawl under the table task. I had cabinets that my DH made that was part of the frame (the ends) to the workspace for storage. Then he made me a roll under the workspace cabinet for more storage. We had high ceilings in this room so he made me a shelf that pulled up and down toward the ceiling where I could store things that were seldom needed. Kind of like those garage shelves they sell for the top of the garage. We were so squished in that little house with both of us and three kids and a couple of dogs, but it sure was a warm and loving home and remembered with fond memories.
Thanks...you've got a ton of ideas that fit into this little message...LOL. (Pun intended.) Honestly, you do have a lot of great ideas! I know how it is with small spaces. In our last house, we raised 2 kids, at least 5, or 6 dogs, 4 cats, a couple of hampsters, an aquarium of fish and occasionally, some baby chicks and ducklings, all in only 900 square feet. It was like living on a boat, or better said, an "ark." (The horses slept outside.) We finally added on to make it about 1300 sq ft when the kids were half grown. Everyone cried when we sold the house last June. It was such a loving home. I've always dreamed of owning a big house, but honestly, I don'think that I could stand all that echoing and drafty, open space. I'm so grateful for all these wonderful ideas from everyone...thanks!

~ Cindy
Old 11-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Instead of just windows how about a skylight over your sewing area?
I love this idea. I tried to talk the DH into skylights in that space and also in the kitchen. Alas...the roof is going on now and I don't see any skylights anywhere. Oh well.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:35 PM

I've seen tables that slide out at a right angle from a desk, or workspace, to create twice as much table area. That looks interesting.

~ Cindy
Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM

However it turns out, and you do have some outstanding ideas, it will be YOUR space and that is what counts! Enjoy every square inch of it!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 AM

you can look at hanging wire cubes or garage storage units from the you can get these types of things at home depot or lowes
Old 11-19-2011, 04:13 AM

I have a small sewing space too and one of the best organizing tools is a pegboard. I have two pegboards and I hang all my tools on it. I don't just use hooks, I also hang small wire baskets to store larger things. The boards keep my tables clear and but keep my tools near. Here is a link to post that I did about my sewing room:

http://becrafted.blogspot.com/2011/1...update_31.html