Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Newbie starting from scratch

first, you must decide what kind of sewing you will be doing. Quillting, clothing, home dec? I find that getting supplies from others who do not use them any more is the best. Join a sewing, quilting club and listen to your fiber arts friends about what they are doing for storage, sewing etc. I belong to the American Sewing Guild and at each mtg someone brings supplies, books, magazines, fabrics etc.that they no longer use to just give to someone who will use them. I have been sewing for 40 years and I will never be done reorganizing myself.

Ah, yes, I started out on the dining room table too. Welcome to this wonderful adventure! I would add a magnetic pin cushion to your list of things to get because it really helps when you drop pins (and you will). Also a good seam ripper because you will need to take things apart as well as put them together. To keep things corralled and organized maybe a small plastic drawer unit on wheels. That will give you some place to store things but also a small area to lay your scissors, pin cushion, etc. when you are working and then you can roll it into a corner when you are done. You'll get a feel for what you need to get when you start working on different projects. Good luck and have fun.
    Ginny B

One thing that I wouldn't trade for anything now, is I have all my favorite little tools in a plastic fishing tackle box. I love the way the trays open out when I lift the top one. I have been using and relying on that little guy now for 6 or 7 years and wouldn't trade a thing. Of course, now they have cute little pink ones and such. Check Wal-Mart.

Cool Too Funny!!!

So I'm reading the organization/sewing room topics and run across this thread. I think to myself after reading it that I'll have to tell my best friend someone else is starting just like her......then I get to the signature line and it is my BFF's post! Too funny! Painting will be going on this week..Yea!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5