Not Again !!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:12 AM

I would pick a neutral color for the walls - my sewing room is Belgian cream - white is always nice because you can change the décor easily or any neutral color. Just take one step at a time and when it gets to you, dream of how beautiful it will look! We had a water problem in our kitchen and were without a kitchen for several months, and we're still finishing up but at least it's functional. Your room will look beautiful!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:00 AM

I LOVE the green. If you like it, go ahead and use it again on the rebuild. Why not re-create your new room in the same fashion/floor plan as the old one? If you were comfy with it and liked it, do it.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:28 AM

All i can say, the day will come again, for the blessed Quilter
Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM

So very sorry to hear of your problems with water/leakage/etc. I can understand how you are feeling overwhelmed. But you have a lovely, large space to use so that is a big plus. And your machines were not damaged; that is also a plus. As others have said, take it a step at a time. Choose the basics: flooring, outlets, paint colors, cabinets, etc., and then when that is done, you can think about putting your quilting furniture, fabrics and other things back in place. I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. I wish I were closer because I would enjoy helping you sort through things. I love to organize so this would be right up my alley. Maybe you have a quilt friend or two who could help you work through some of the details. Good luck to you! It will be so nice to have a "new" space to work in!
Old 08-21-2015, 11:55 AM

Just put everything on wheels so you can change your mind 400 times if you want to!

OK but more helpfully.... What I did to plan my layout was make a scale drawing of my room on graph paper, marking windows and doors and outlets and light switches so I had a complete view of what was going on in the room. Then I made scaled cut-out pieces of paper for each piece of furniture that was going to go into the room or that MIGHT go into the room (getting measurements online for furniture I was considering buying), and that let me play with a ton of options without having to actually drag furniture around or invest in a bunch of stuff that might not really work out.

I KEPT all of those pieces too, and I was glad I did because after about 3 months I realized the room was not working in a couple of key ways and needed a new plan...I just busted out my envelope of pieces and re-arranged it until I was happy, and then I had a nice map for my DH to use to help me move things where they would go. Thankfully I've been happy with layout #2 for awhile now.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 AM

Do you have quilting friends? If so, visit their quilting space and see what catches your eye and what you know you couldn't work with.

Some things for me are a must. Like if there's a window, that's where my sewing machine will be. Like many others have said... start with what you REALLY liked about the old room and go from there. **you know: you can't eat an elephant whole. One bite at a time.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 AM

I have my entire basement, flourescent lights, concrete floor, so wheels will roll nicely, not finished, but i like it that way, pegboards are my walls so i can hang things. good luck to you, but you can make it work.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Sorry you had all that trouble...Take your time and make the new space the best...
Old 09-01-2015, 04:18 PM

You didn't mention whether or not your machines and fabric were ok...I hope so. Looking forward to seeing your plans in the works. Most people's sewing spaces are "works in progress", not finished products. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 PM

Slow down and breathe! Now think about what you loved in your room and go back in with that . Any thing you didn't doesn't go back in. One step at a time. And breathe!