Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Notions and small tools storage and organization: need ideas >

Notions and small tools storage and organization: need ideas

Notions and small tools storage and organization: need ideas

Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 AM

Some ideas that I use.

i love the Closet Maid desk cubbies for machine feet and attachments, jelly roll storage and misc. trims, etc. Whatever you wish. (Behind my machine). I already had the bookcase and added the Closet Maid fabric boxes for my stash. Make sure that the bookcase is deep enough to hold the boxes. Some are too shallow for the large fabric boxes. Target carries the Closet Maid. Dollar General and Walmart have their brands too. I put a binder/file thingy between each of the larger fabric boxes. Perfect for storing Owners Manuals, instruction books, fav books printing sheets and large patterns. Look for them in the office supplies. Dollar General has some really pretty ones and very affordable.

I bought two metal towel holders to hang my embroidery hoops under my machine table. $1.97 each if I recall.

My See & Sew light has small drawer storage across the top and vertically down the right side. I put my most often used feet, etc in the drawers. There is a wire scissor holder on the left. I never lose my scissors. I put a sticky hook on it for my USB to hang on. It has a great LED light too. Sticky and Command Strip hooks are great!

i used 2 white wooden shoe shelves stacked to make a deeper cubbie for my secondary countertop table. Sterlite plastic storage boxes and deep rectangle fabric boxes from Dollar General. ($2-each). Perfect for longer tools and accessories.

The small Sterlite box holds the power cored and misc sewing box items. I grab my small machine and this pre-packed box and go! ( extra scissors, pincushion, thread, rotary cutter, etc) I use similar ckear plastic storage boxes with snap lids to store the power cords for my machines that never travel. They are stored in my wooden drawers.

Need pulls for drawers? I borrowed this trick from a good friend. The kitchen cabinets in her apartment do not have pulls. She applied the silver Command Strip hooks horizontally. Brilliant! I applied the hooks vertically. I want to hang small tags on them to identify the drawer contents. Easy!

I think that about covers it.

Thanks for playing!
sandy
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg  
Old 01-06-2015, 06:32 AM

My husband gave me a wooden tool chest for Christmas. It sits on a rolling file cabinet next to my machines. The chest has a lift top section perfect for my shears and such. There are 10 drawers of varying depths that hold my small templates and rulers (tried the notebook organizer ---did not work for me), thimbles, chalk and pounce, and assorted other items. The chest has a sliding door that comes up over the drawers. It has a place for a pad lock. Now none of my boys can "accidentally " use my fabric scissors. Lol. I am hoping that now I won't lose so many of my little things.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM

I use a case called Grab and Go sold by Joanns. In fact I have two of them. I can carry all my quilting tools and supplies in them. It is great for going to class with.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I have a fishing tackle box for small things, and larger stuff gets put into clear plastic boxes with snap on tops.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 AM

I have several vintage machines. I bought 2 of these from Joann's and labeled them : Featherweight, 301. The box has a top tray with some fixed dividers and some removable dividers. Then the bottom tray also has some fixed dividers. At one point I mistakenly got the Large GEAR box but did not like it as well.

In this I can keep my bobbins, feet, scissors, etc. Anything specific to that machine. Since I use take these machines to classes and when I travel it is easy to grab the appropriate box and know that it is loaded with the correct tools for that machine.

http://www.joann.com/med-parts-gear-case/4734083.html
Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Z View Post
Parts cabinets for hardware storage work well. They are units with small drawers. If you want to keep the parts with their own machine get a 6 or 9 drawer unit for each table or work area. Get one with more drawers if you want to keep all the parts for all the machines together. .
I bought one of those storage containers at the hardware store. It has clear plastic drawers where I can see what is there. I store like things together then just remove the drawer and bring it to where I am working.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 AM

Oh my goodness donna13350 - I have that exact same Tupperware container taking up space in my kitchen cabinet! I've been holding onto it because it belonged to my Mom and we used it for all of our family parties back in the day... never thought of repurposing it for sewing... thank you SO MUCH! I'm taking it out tonight and putting it to good use! And it will make me smile and think of my late Mom every time I use it. I say it all the time... the people on this board are BRILLIANT!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

one thing I do is keep my bobbins and needles separate. I have one for the 401 and one for the 2662. I label everything I can. Looks like I need to check out the thrift stores again I've seen a lot of the Condiment caddies. I even sold them. Need to check my cabinets to see what else I have not in use!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I don't know what its called but, I have something I bought at Joanns. Its on casters, and the drawers ( really more like small bins} slide out and are different colors, and there are 10 of them. It sits right beside my machine and holds all that miscellaneous stuff. Very handy!! Oh and the frame is metal.
I have four of those...not all for notions..for projects too,..like templates, hexie stuff, etc....I bought two at JAF with coupon...then found one at goodwill for $5.00 and the last one, believe it or not at menards..a big box hardware/everything store.....for $19.... I have labeled each drawer with its contents....and I love them and the bright colors are fun! But, they do not hold much weight..have had one or two "drop" .....their tracks and bins ledges are quite narrow..so their use is limited, but nonetheless useful for me......
Old 01-07-2015, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Oh my goodness donna13350 - I have that exact same Tupperware container taking up space in my kitchen cabinet! I've been holding onto it because it belonged to my Mom and we used it for all of our family parties back in the day... never thought of repurposing it for sewing... thank you SO MUCH! I'm taking it out tonight and putting it to good use! And it will make me smile and think of my late Mom every time I use it. I say it all the time... the people on this board are BRILLIANT!
That is SO nice! I lost my mom when I was only 29, so the things I have that were hers are very dear to me, too. It will be so nice to have something of hers where you can see it and use it! It is especially nice because those little cups pop right out and you can sling them in the dishwasher!