Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Organising a sewing room >

Organising a sewing room

Organising a sewing room

Old 02-29-2016, 11:23 PM

Default Organising a sewing room

When you organise your sewing spaces do you; stop quilting for a few hours days weeks or organise then sew a bit. I have my sewing room to do and also some sewing to do. Not sure the best way to organise myself.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:02 AM

I like my room organised, so I usually take an hour once a week to put everything back in its place, vacuum and dust and then start sewing. I hate things being disorganised, I can't sew well when things aren't organised.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:36 AM

[QUOTE=notmorecraft;7480920]I like my room organised, so I usually take an hour once a week to put everything back in its place, vacuum and dust and then start sewing. I hate things being disorganised, I can't sew well when things aren't organised.[/QUOTE

that's my regular routine as well... I like to keep things tidy and organized. I also clean up and put things back in their proper place when I am finished with a project, before starting a new one. I am currently working on the Gypsy Wife quilt and using fabrics from my stash so I have a lot of pieces lying out on our guest bed... and it's driving me crazy.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 AM

I usually try to organize when I don't feel like sewing, which is about once a week. I like to put projects and scraps which have been cut into 2 1/2" sqs., 2 1/2" strips, etc., in $1 store clear plastic shoe, sweater and tote boxes. They're stackable and you can see what's in the boxes.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:08 AM

I get SO much more accomplished at the sewing machine if I've taken time to tidy up and organize first. My mind is free to create if the space around me is orderly.

Now, that's not to say I sometimes just move stacks from east to west, north to south, and then just plop down in my sewing chair and start that puppy. But I feel tense and when I'm tense, I make more mistakes. So generally speaking, I see that the work of tidying up earns me the play of sewing!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:09 AM

I have to stop a organize/clean when my cutting table gets so much clutter that I can't find my rulers and rotary cutter.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I keep my sewing table clear except for the project I am working on. I do need to purge a lot of craft items I am no longer using but they are in totes that I really don't want to deal with them. If things are neat and the room doesn't feel cluttered, I opt out of cleaning.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I wish I had the "organization gene" because I seem to only clean when I need to find something. Too many projects going on at once. I myself would draft out a floor plan, then you can try out different places to place your furniture. I just draw to scale the size of the room and cut cardboard scale pieces of your furniture (12" equal 1") and move things around to see what is going to work best for you. When you finally have a plan that will work, then dive in and get the stuff move. It won't take as long as when you don't have a plan. Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:59 AM

It depends on how messy the space is. LOL I am a bit OCD so want to be able to find things easily. I try to clean up after every sewing day, but sometimes it is the scraps that get away from me. When the box gets full, I try to spend a day cutting or organizing by color, or I will never use them. My DH just put in a new floor so everything was removed and put back in the course of a week or two, so I re-organized then.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 AM

I try not to get too messy, notice I said try? When I finish ironing, or cutting for the day I tidy that area, When done cutting I deal with the scraps before going to the next step. my problem is once I start a project I keep all the fabric, out on one of my side counters until the project is done. if I put it away I just know I will need it again, you can just imagine how bad my space can get if I have several projects going at the same time. If one of those projects becomes a UFO all fabric, pattern, thread, specialty rulers, and project goes into one box to be set aside till I can get back to it.