organizing books

Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 PM

Veinurse- I have done the same not only with my quilting magazines, but my sewing ones, my beading ones… It is so nice to have less clutter, and I know what I have kept are things I am actually interested in making. Of course, I would need several more lifetimes to accomplish this!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:31 PM
ro
Banned

i ripped out the patterns i liked. put them in plastic sleeves in loose leaf books. besides. there isnt a pattern around that's not on the computer. so little by little i'm doin away with subscriptions.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I organize mine in stacks. I know where they all are, in every room!
peace
Old 06-09-2014, 04:22 PM

I guess I'd better get with my nearly nonexistent tech skills. As I do with all my books, I first categorize then I alphabetize. However, if I have several books by a single author such as Eleanor Burns, Lynette Jenson, Debbie Mumm, I just alphabetize, since they have a distinctive style and I can usually find a project (even small ones) if i'm in the mood for a particular style or technique. Don't buy mags anymore unless I find a pattern I just have to have. I am also a page ripper and use page keepers to keep everything in 3 ring binders--just categorized, not alphabetized. I do have an old computerized catalog that I still add to and delete from, but it was first done before spreadsheets and barcode readers--Ah, something about older than dirt?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:53 AM

I used to buy tons of old quilting magazines at garage/estate sales and antique shops. The patterns I liked were flagged at the top with those little colored flags. The magazines themselves were organized by title and date which I kept track of in Excel. I'd print the list out every time I added new magazines and I carried that around with me so I wouldn't buy the same one twice. But, the quantity of magazines became unruly! So, I started scanning the patterns I liked and then donating the intact magazines to the senior center. The scanned patterns are organized by themes (Christmas, 4th of July, Table Runners, baby quilts - however I would use the pattern). Those patterns which I think I'll use sometime soon I print out and keep in a folder. I still keep the Excel list updated.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 PM

My Cookbooks and Quilt books are sorted to Hardback and Paperback simply because I usually have an idea of what type book I saw something in. Then I sort by method.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM

Organize by Subject Matter. Bargello, Quilt in a Day, Paper Piecing, etc. It helps me find what I need faster than going through all of my books.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 AM

I downloaded an app on my Android phone a few weeks ago called MyBooks. You also need to download a barcode scanner app. You just scan the barcodes on the book and it creates a list of your books. If you click on the name of a book on your list, it will bring up information about the book as well as the ISBN number. I've not actually sorted out all of my books yet, but if they are all quilting books it's probably easiest to sort alphabetically by author. On the app you can look for the book you want and it also lists the author so you should easily find it on the shelf.