Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm? >

Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
I am planning a basement reno and having hanging power boxes is part of my plan. They are often used in industrial settings and have to be in proper conduit so there is no strain on the wires. The outlet box is not in the ceiling, but hangs down.

I work in a commercial bakery from time to time and we have two outlets hanging above one of the free standing tables.

In planning my reno, I will have two or more hanging outlets and numerous countertop ones.

There is no problem unplugging from the hanging outlets, they are well within my reach. I am 5'5" tall. In my basement, where the ceiling is a bit lower than most, it will not be a problem at all.
Do you think the longarm is a practical application for the hanging outlet? I'm concerned about the cord hanging in the way as the machine travels from end to end. Retractable would probably cause a tugging, don't you think?
Any info you have on this would be greatly appreciated.
We are just finishing up a basement renovation with a dropped ceiling. So access is very easy for the power.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:09 AM

Excellent idea! when our house was being built and the electrical was going in I told my DH I wanted an outlet about 5 1/2 to 6 feet from the floor in the utility/laundry room for my iron...it's nice but the cord still hangs on the ironing board so I have to put a fold or two and then rubber band it.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:47 AM

I am still on the fence with this idea...I will be starting a sewing room late this fall (above our garage). I am waiting for our contractor to give me the overall dimensions and where my dormer and windows will go so I can put the measurements on graph paper. I haven't decided on the longarm machine yet but am thinking I might want the plug in the floor once I know where it will live in my new sewing room.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

My long arm is set up with the coward coming down from ceiling- it is a great set up! Never catches on anything or is in the way. When we remodeled my room my hubby wired it this way for me with a good surge protector box. So much better now. Before I had to run a big extension cord under the table over to the wall plugin, it was a trip hazard, was always getting caught on something.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 AM

I have my cords coming from the ceiling. When I moved to this house I changed out the fuse box to a breaker box and added lots more wall plugs on separate circuits so I never overloaded them in case I decided to have all my machines going at one time. Here's a pic of my setup. I have the machine on a voltage regulator and the robotics and auto-advance on the surge protector.
Attached Thumbnails ceiling-plug-.jpg   back-machine-cords-path-ceiling-plug.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 AM

Since my hubby is Tim the tool man, when we built my quilt room/wood shop/3 car garage he installed outlets in the ceiling in all 3 areas. In the sewing room and wood shop we have 2 reels from sears craftsman in each area that has an extension cord hanging down. Just pull down cord when needed and plug into it. When not in use, unplug and it rolls back up to the ceiling. Works well with my quilting machine since it sits in the middle of the room. The machine and lights plus into a bar and the bar is plugged into the power cord reel.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I could see this setup working for someone who is running robotics like Snooze but I feel it would get in the way for someone who is going to work from both the back and the front of the machine hand guiding, it is especially evident in Snoozes picture. Can you imagine trying to work from the back and having all those cords hanging down and in the way?? All of my power cords are wire tied right to my frame and on on a surge protector with enough slack that the machine can move freely in all directions the entire length of both back rails and front to back rails. But even with surge protector my dealer was very adamant that I unplug the machine when not in use so (due to electrical storms) that would be another reason I would want the plugs more accessible. But if you are in an area that never gets thunder storms that would not be a consideration.

As for me I would rather have the cords on the ground than hanging down where the machine or you could get all tangled up in them.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 PM
yel

I had little brother put a plug in for me and he put it on the wall right at the ceiling ,,,I put a surge protector on it that gives the cord some weight and hangs right along the wall and i do unplug when not in use [which isn't very often ] i have a yard stick that i use to grab it .....so i can unplug from the front of the machine..love it go for it
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 PM

I have my iron cord hanging from a hook up high on a piece of elastic. It's never in the way. I love it.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:46 AM

I'm one who will pass on that, even though I do have 3 outlets in my ceilings (the previous owner used this room as a woodworking shop). I unplug everything electrical when I'm done for the day. Even power strips. I paid waaaay too much for my machines to take even the smallest chance of them blowing up from a storm or electrical surge. I've had a machine fried with a surge-protecting power strip. No way to unplug them if they're in the ceiling.