Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Apartment quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/apartment-quilting-t195365.html)

barri1 07-22-2012 04:39 PM

At least you are in a two bedroom.. I'm in a one bedroom. I use the livingroom.. I have nine sweater containers piled up with fabric, and I can add a couple more.. I have a three foot table that I cut on, and have a Singer 99 on it.. I have the Singer 66 in between the door to the bedroom, and a closet.. I have room on my office table that if I only will get rid of the turtle tank with no turtle in it, I can make more room.. I have fabric on the cocktail table, as I am working on getting 1.5" squares out for a swap.. yes.. i am getting claustrophobic.. The dogs house is under the office desk.. Don't even think of a design wall.. I'm okay with things the way they are.. I don't have UFO's.. but I am making four of the same scrap quilts for my staff, and myself.. Oh.. I forgot.. I iron on the kitchen counter which is granite..

CindyA 07-22-2012 04:45 PM

When I didn't have a space large enough to sandwich my quilts I could reserve a meeting room at the local public library and push a couple of tables together to do it there. I'd make a morning of it and invite a quilt friend or two to go along with me. Once I machine quilted a queen size quilt on my old Kenmore on my kitchen table in between feeding two little ones and keeping them occupied. :)

When I was attending quilt guild meetings regularly it seemd that many/most of the ladies had 'studios.' I quilted when and where I could and my supplies and stash migrated through the house according to the kid's needs for space and storage. Then one month a woman from England came and spoke to our guild. She had a picture of herself sewing at her teeny tiny kitchen table in her teeny tiny kitchen. From that point on I just pretended to be European whenever I started wanting a bigger space. LOL

Sarah in Brooklyn 07-22-2012 05:38 PM

oh my goodness, that is stunning!

Sarah in Brooklyn 07-22-2012 05:41 PM

Wow, sounds like good use of space! I am very lucky to have the second bedroom, though I share it with the cats, the lizard, my second bike and a ton of stuff that my son left here! I'm slowly clearing it out. My biggest wish is for a bigger surface for cutting. My only table is about 2 x 4 feet. But I'm doing ok so far!

Sarah in Brooklyn 07-22-2012 05:41 PM

Ha, love that!

Dolphyngyrl 07-22-2012 08:02 PM

I quilt in a small portion of my bedroom so you are doing good. the dining room is my cutting table, my walk in closet is my storage. At least you have a separate room. I feel I had more room in my other apt than this apt. for one the dining room table was alll mine, now it is shared with the computer

Rose_P 07-22-2012 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn (Post 5386058)
Wow, sounds like good use of space! I am very lucky to have the second bedroom, though I share it with the cats, the lizard, my second bike and a ton of stuff that my son left here! I'm slowly clearing it out. My biggest wish is for a bigger surface for cutting. My only table is about 2 x 4 feet. But I'm doing ok so far!

Oddly, although I could use the large dining room table for cutting, I prefer one that just fits my 24" x 36" cutting mat plus a small ironing pad next to it. I figure that my arms will only go so far, and a larger surface wouldn't help me much. It would be nice to have it in the middle of a room so I could walk around it, but for that to happen, I'd have to get rid of a bed. We won't be doing that because we need the guest room regularly. Generally, I don't need any more room for cutting than the size of one block of a quilt.

Pickles 07-22-2012 09:50 PM

You could get you a couple of saw horses and put a sturdy board across it that you could but some two pieces of batting and some Cotton fabric over the batting and staple it all down underneath.then when not using it you could
store the ironing board under something are up against the wall and fold up the sew horses to store.

Julie in NM 07-23-2012 04:31 AM

I bought one of the tables at JAs for basting my quilts. Side drop down so it's against the wall when not in use http://www.joann.com/sullivans-home-...?green=3031324 Bought it when it was on deep sale price. DH said it was a pain to put together but then refused to let me help. I refuse to pin baste on the floor...knees can't take it I use binder clamps to anchor the quilt and shift as I need to get it basted. Just another idea for you.

TanyaL 07-23-2012 05:44 AM

I have one wall in a guest bedroom that I put shelving on floor to ceiling and all stash, supplies are stored there, plus other storage not sewing related. In my living room against one wall I found room for an old kitchen table,covered it to the floor with a cloth and have my sewing/embroidery machine and serger on opposite ends. I have some things hidden under it. My ironing board comes out when I need it and goes back into a closet when I am finished. I put my cutting mat on the kitchen counter top when I want to cut. My design wall is behind a door in my bedroom.