Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   best lighting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/best-lighting-t217760.html)

krjkrj 03-29-2013 08:38 PM

best lighting

Can anyone make suggestions for the best lighting in a sewing room. I need to buy task lighting for the cutting area and the sewing machine area. I know about Ott lighting but wondered if their were another less expensive brand that works just as well. thanks krjkrj

sandyl 03-30-2013 03:31 AM

I wonder the same thing. I would like one that does not distort colors.

carolaug 03-30-2013 03:35 AM

this will be a thread I will follow...I am also ready to buy a good light for the sewing room. I only have one small window and its not bright enough.

beadywoman 03-30-2013 04:57 AM

My dear hubby installed fluorescent lighting overhead in my sewing room. I LOVE it! And he bought me two floor lamps for those times that I might need a little more light. Since they are floor lamps, I don't have to worry about them being in the way on my sewing table.

ksdot417 03-30-2013 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by beadywoman (Post 5964930)
My dear hubby installed fluorescent lighting overhead in my sewing room. I LOVE it! And he bought me two floor lamps for those times that I might need a little more light. Since they are floor lamps, I don't have to worry about them being in the way on my sewing table.

My husband did the same thing for me above my sewing machine. I couldn't believe what I had been missing!

hopetoquilt 03-30-2013 04:58 AM

Some people have posted that lowes or Home Depot sell OTt lights at half the price of quilting stores.

lfletcher 03-30-2013 05:26 AM

We installed inexpensive shop lighting from Home Depot or Lowe's (can't remember which but they both have them). Just hung them on hooks from the ceiling over my cutting table, ironing station and sewing machine. The cords run down the walls to the outlets but I just hung quilts over them and they are not noticeable. I think we only paid about $20 per light. They use florescent bulbs and provide me plenty of light.

QuiltE 03-30-2013 05:30 AM

When you buy your fluorescent lightbulbs, they come in different colours.

The best to choose for real clear light is "daylight".
Others are "warm" and "cool" and are more popular and easier to find.
You can get "daylight" incandescents as well.

I've gradually converted my whole home to these and what a difference.

pflum1 03-30-2013 05:37 AM

Best lights

Originally Posted by lfletcher (Post 5965013)
We installed inexpensive shop lighting from Home Depot or Lowe's (can't remember which but they both have them). Just hung them on hooks from the ceiling over my cutting table, ironing station and sewing machine. The cords run down the walls to the outlets but I just hung quilts over them and they are not noticeable. I think we only paid about $20 per light. They use florescent bulbs and provide me plenty of light.

You can use the inexpensive shop lights, but put Day Light bulbs in them and you will get true color. Or you can get any regular floor lamp and put a Day Light bulb in it. I have 2 Ott lights and I find they just don't give off enough light for me. I have a LED light over my sewing machine, but it's not a true color light, but it is bright.

QuiltE 03-30-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by pflum1 (Post 5965032)
You can use the inexpensive shop lights, but put Day Light bulbs in them and you will get true color. Or you can get any regular floor lamp and put a Day Light bulb in it. I have 2 Ott lights and I find they just don't give off enough light for me. I have a LED light over my sewing machine, but it's not a true color light, but it is bright.

aha! A Kindred Light Spirit!! :) .... glad I am not the only one who is disappointed in their Ott Lamp and LED; and I'll add in halogens ... and favours the daylight bulbs!! :)