Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   block storage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/block-storage-t222562.html)

sweetpea 05-29-2013 07:02 PM

block storage

I have been looking, I know that I have seen posted some where about block storage, but I can't find them. here's what I have gone and have not come up with anything. I have been working on a butterfly quilt. I'm gone on a trip for 4 days, so I'm planing to take the butterfly quilt as my project to work on. the block are 8 1/2 sq. what I would like is something that I can lay the block on flat so i can keep the butterflys in place that need to be stitch down. I like to think of something I have on hand or make something. I know that I can buy a flat block box but what's the fun in that. What do you all use as block tote?

loves_2_quilt 05-29-2013 07:04 PM

New pizza boxes are good for block storage. Some places will give you one or two or charge you $0.50 or so for each. Not hey may not be the best for travel but are great storage.
D

QuiltE 05-29-2013 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my pizza box solution ..............
[ATTACH=CONFIG]416136[/ATTACH]

tessagin 05-29-2013 07:21 PM

What about some of the gift boxes that you can buy in packs of 3 + or a small 1/2" binder. or inexpensive project folder binders that work like Ziploc bags.

tessagin 05-29-2013 07:25 PM

I like QuiltE's solution and loves_2_quilt also.

ssnare 05-29-2013 07:37 PM

I use the containers that are 12 1/2" square that are made for scrapbooking.

Onetomatoplant 05-29-2013 09:24 PM

You could roll up your blocks in a piece of batting a little bigger than the blocks,,sort of like one of those puzzle roll up things. That would also keep your butterflies in place.

owlvamp 05-29-2013 09:41 PM

I like the pizza boxes too. But Joann sells clear containers that you could use also. I have some for my scrapbook paper. Had them for years now but sure they still sell them.

quiltingcandy 05-29-2013 09:58 PM

If you have a Costco close by check out their selection of plastic boxes. They sell the large plastic flat boxes (14 x 14 inside measurement), and they are packaged 5 together, all different colors. All 5 of them cost $19.95. One of the boxes at Joann's was that much and it was clear. At first I filled only 3 and thought about giving away the other 2 but wouldn't you know it, they are all filled now without even trying.

QuiltE 05-30-2013 04:20 AM

Are your blocks 8-1/2" unfinished?

If so ... they would slide into the pocket envelopes that are meant to hold a piece of paper in a binder. There are some that are a little wider that the 8-1/2" that will hold several pages, so would make it easier to slide a block into it.

These would let you put them in your suitcase, taking minimal space. Plus would protect your blocks well.