Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Cleaning my sewing room!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/cleaning-my-sewing-room-t198941.html)

ragqueen03 08-28-2012 02:11 PM

Cleaning my sewing room!!!!

One of my goals being on vacation this week was to organize the sewing room. Let me tell you - that chick Eleanor Burns has nothing on me when it comes to tossing fabric over my shoulder!! Yikes what a disaster. Finally got the cutting table cleared off. I have come across a lot of scraps that are less than 1/4 yard. Question - would it be best to cut them into 2-1/2 inch strips to use for braids, log cabins, crazy scrappy jelly roll quilt, bindings????

darlenedowns 08-28-2012 02:12 PM

Yes that would be a option or better yet fold and stack good luck either way

NJ Quilter 08-28-2012 05:45 PM

For me, I personally see absolutely no sense in pre-cutting scraps. Then again, I'm not into scrappy quilts. So, I'd leave it all in it's current state and just file/store as you would anything else. Never know when you might need that odd piece for a pp'ing project or something else.

luvTooQuilt 08-28-2012 06:00 PM

This is what I do.

If the scrap is a fq- gets folded and put in the fq section of my room.. if its smaller than a FQ then:

I cut the largest shape i can get from the scrap using my go dies.. and i keep using the left over fabric- matching fabric size to die shape- till all i have is threads- because even an inch piece gets put in the crumb basket...

I am a scrappy quilter, so when my sterilite drawer gets full of what ever designated size it is- gets turned into a scrappy quilt- already precut, and ready to be sewn...

Jingle 08-28-2012 06:29 PM

I'm thinking of cutting 1/2 yard or smaller pieces into 2-1/2" strips and later using them to make scrappy quilts. These would be some that doesn't really much any I have.

SallySaidSew 08-28-2012 06:56 PM

This is such interesting info for me reading the replies. My stash is still pretty small. Anything FQ or larger, I've folded and have in one bin. All of the smaller pieces in are in my scrap box. Not sure if I'll ever do a scrappy quilt, but should I decide on one, I'll be ready. :) Plus other fabrics that I've bought for specific projects are grouped together in their own project box and marked as such.

ScubaK 08-28-2012 07:52 PM

luvtooquilt...
Can you go a bit more into your scrap organization and the creation of your scrappy quilts?
K

Caswews 08-29-2012 05:46 AM

Well when you are done there .. hehehe .. LOL Good luck on your cleaning .. don't forget to write a note as to where you put things !LOL

blondeslave 08-29-2012 06:33 AM

I need to do this next week when I'm off. I want to move my fabric from the closet where it's in a huge stack and fold it on core boards and put it on the shelving unit where I currently have precut squares(I used to buy these before I learned to cut properly) in fabric boxes? Don't know what to call them. Plus every surface in the room is a mess-can't even think in there right now.

Julie R 08-29-2012 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5475474)
This is what I do.

If the scrap is a fq- gets folded and put in the fq section of my room.. if its smaller than a FQ then:

I cut the largest shape i can get from the scrap using my go dies.. and i keep using the left over fabric- matching fabric size to die shape- till all i have is threads- because even an inch piece gets put in the crumb basket...

I am a scrappy quilter, so when my sterilite drawer gets full of what ever designated size it is- gets turned into a scrappy quilt- already precut, and ready to be sewn...

I love your idea of using to dies to precut shapes. I'm thinking I'll start doing that too. I make quilts for charity and it would be so easy to pull out 12 of my little doggies or cats or Sunbonnet Sues, etc. and do a quick applique quilt with a little sashing between blocks. Great idea!