Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Design wall: batting, fleece or batting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/design-wall-batting-fleece-batting-t181577.html)

masufa 03-10-2012 10:06 PM

I have sliding closet doors in my sewing room and I covered them with flannel just using duct on the back of the doors. I this because it doesn't take up any extra space in my room. I have had blocks on the wall for weeks at a time with no problem.

bettyboop32953 03-16-2012 02:19 PM

I use an inexpensive flannel backed tablecloth tacked to the wall. A friend of my built a design wall with a foam insulation/acoustic board covered with car overhead liner fabric. Our local Hancock's carries a wide variety of colors. Since her sewing room is in the old dining room, her husband built a frame around it. She used a grey colored liner.

Patricia Faye 07-20-2012 05:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We have a Queen-size Murphy Bed (my husband built) in the guest room where I sew. I hang a rod across the bed's 2 decorative handles and attach a flannel backed table cloth (from Dollar Store) using binder clips. It is large enough for most of what I've made so far. I use a lint brush to clean it. If I can't get all the threads off, I throw it in the dryer for a couple of minutes and it does the job! I can always get a replacement tablecloth. Here are 2 picture (excuse the mess):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350276[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]350277[/ATTACH]

We have added on to our house so I'm getting my own sewing room within the next few months! Yippee... I'm looking at getting the 2 pieces of insulation boards so I have a moveable design wall. Love reading everyone's suggestions.

retiredteacher09 07-20-2012 08:20 AM

I started out with old flannel sheets but later covered them with Warm and Natural cream batting. It works great!

sak658 07-20-2012 06:13 PM

I took some batting , cut to fit the back of my sewing room door, bought a 1-1/2 inch dowel rod and made a rod pocket at one end of the batting, put the dowel in the pocket and hung it over the door..the weight keeps it there..made a rod pocket at the bottom and put a 1 inch dowel rod in it, the weight keeps it hanging straight...had to measure the dowels to fit the door when its closed..works good for me...

agentomie 07-24-2012 07:17 PM

I covered the insulation with a white flannel sheet I purchased from a garage sale....so far I love it, but haven't tried tacking an entire quilt to it, just the small individual pieces. Can't get much cheaper than that!...I think the entire sheet set was $2.00

auntiem 07-25-2012 03:27 AM

I tacked a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth (from local dollar store!) to my sewing room wall about a year ago, it works great and the vinyl seems to give it a little stability. Also, easy to pull down, move around, and could NOT be cheaper!

MaryAnnMc 07-31-2012 03:55 PM

Wow, I'm surprised I'm still getting responses four months later! The wall is up and in use. I started with black felt, but found it wasn't sticky enugh. I've since replaced it with black batting (80/20) and it works great. I do sometimes add a few pins, especially for long strips. They tend to want to take off when the ceiling fan is on. :o)

vickiehornback 06-07-2019 05:21 PM

the best thing to use for a design board is called headliner. You can get it at a fabric store, I know Joann Fabrics has it. It works great!

jclinganrey 06-07-2019 06:20 PM

Personally, I have a piece of batting attached to my wall. I think it's twin-sized. I've used it for years. Love it!!