Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Design Walls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/design-walls-t214127.html)

sew_Tracy 02-18-2013 05:12 AM

Design Walls

4 Attachment(s)
DH and I occasionally clear out abandoned office buildings. It's amazing what people leave behind. I would have to say that both of us may appear in danger of ending up on "Hoarders." :D

But I digress. These folks left behind about 23 office cubicle panels. I saw them and immediately thought they would make great design walls...pins stick in super easy. My mind went nuts and somehow I thought we might be able to actually put a cubicle in the middle of the living room where I have my sewing space. When DH bucked on that one, I started to pout. He pointed out the ludicrous idea of it and I had to crack up and agree that perhaps I maybe had a "fever"...more cowbell!

Well, the panels are super light and he came up with this idea. Now my problem is 3 UFO in my face and room for more!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]396028[/ATTACH]

Here are all 3 "walls" from a distance.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396029[/ATTACH]
This is my "immediate" work area where I can use the space to organize blocks and small building blocks. Watched Ricky Tims video yesterday on the one-seam flying geese and HAD to play with it. This will probably be a wall hanging when it grows up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396031[/ATTACH]
This is my intermediate wall that I am using for a quilt-along project. One mistake I made with this wall is I blocked out light from the window...ah well, worth it having immediate wall.
It is 3 of those panels attached to a useless partition to the front door.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396033[/ATTACH]
Finally, this is my "get in line" wall for projects I temporarily abandoned.

So my triage is wonky, you ought to me me!!!

ksdot417 02-18-2013 05:18 AM

Great use for those partitions. I've often tried to figure out how I'd use my office cubicle in my sewing area, but they'd probably have a problem if they saw me trying to carry it out the front door.

sew_Tracy 02-18-2013 05:24 AM

Fun part was this...we were paid 200 bucks to haul the stuff away. We scrapped all the aluminum and steel and made 150 bucks, I got my design walls, and we sold the rest of the panel parts to a local rap musician (wait, isn't that an oxymoron?) for 40 bucks and kept DH out of my hair for a minute while he was outside scrapping them! WIN!

Canada Kate 02-18-2013 06:52 AM

I'm sitting in my cubicle at work regarding my walls in a whole new light...but unlike ksdot417, I'm thinking about what my neighbours might think about the sound of the sewing machine going all day! You got big-time lucky with this one, girl. Good for you!

Tartan 02-18-2013 06:53 AM

​Windows are nice but design walls are better! Congratulations!

Nammie to 7 02-18-2013 07:19 AM

Great recycling idea! I have a design wall but it is referred to as the climbing wall. Two of my cats love to climb it and sleep on the top. It isn't attached to the wall but is propped behind a desk that has a serger on it. The cats LOVE my sewing room. The door is kept closed when I'm not in there so they wait by the door and run in when it is opened.

mighty 02-18-2013 07:49 AM

Great score and idea!

Chasing Hawk 02-18-2013 09:14 AM

How ingenious! But I think I would rather have the window. I thought about using one of those panels before. I see them for sale on CL every so often.

Chasing Hawk 02-18-2013 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 5869875)
Great recycling idea! I have a design wall but it is referred to as the climbing wall. Two of my cats love to climb it and sleep on the top. It isn't attached to the wall but is propped behind a desk that has a serger on it. The cats LOVE my sewing room. The door is kept closed when I'm not in there so they wait by the door and run in when it is opened.

Cute! Kola has been waiting for me to turn my back on my sandwiched quilts I have in the Quilting room. She loves to lay on them and knows it drives me bonkers when she does.

michelleoc 02-18-2013 12:45 PM

What a brilliant idea! Where one design wall is nice, three is even better!