Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Do you use an app for keeping track of your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/do-you-use-app-keeping-track-your-stash-t242601.html)

gale 03-05-2014 01:54 PM

Do you use an app for keeping track of your stash?

I think there's an iphone/ipad app specifically for crafting stashes but I have an android phone. So I've been using evernote but it takes time because with the free account, you can only upload 60 mb per month. What I'm doing so far is making a new evernote notebook for each fabric line or category (name of the line or a name like "miscellaneous dots", etc) and then I take a picture of the fabric with a 6" ruler on it to see the scale. I use the amount of fabric as the note title so I can see at a glance how much of each fabric I have. I use comic book boards so I have them wrapped first before taking the pic. I hope it helps me to "see" my stash better and use it more.

A bonus is that I can have it with me if I'm shopping. Colors wouldn't be exact enough for matching but at least I could avoid buying a fabric I already have or one that I have something very similar of. It would be good for pattern shopping too although I mostly find patterns online these days.

tallchick 03-05-2014 03:57 PM

I have a iPhone and I do have a app for that!!! I have not used it at all though, only because I have not really had the time and place to quilt until recently. I may start to use it and play around with some blocks before I start my next quilt. I am not sure I would use it for shopping, I generally take my fabric I am trying to match with me since it's such a long drive to the store.

Divokittysmom 03-05-2014 04:10 PM

Hope they make one for Droids! I either snip a piece of fabric or take a photo for now.

paulswalia 03-05-2014 05:37 PM

Oh gosh - this sounds WAY too techie for me........I would spend more time putting my data into the app than I would care to....especially if I had to start with the existing stash. Maybe if I was buying my first ever piece of fabric, but, given my advanced age and hoarding tendency..............I'll stick with my memory and risk an occasional double buy or purchase of something that doesn't match - that's how the stash got built I the first place!

Quilterfay 03-05-2014 08:40 PM

What is the name of the app?

lots2do 03-06-2014 02:46 AM

I don't. I do have a very small stash started in Florida. I used my IPad to take some pictures of the fabric to remind myself of what I had down there. I also photographed the rulers and plastic box of sewing notions and thread for the same reason.

duckydo 03-06-2014 05:24 AM

someone posted on here a couple of days ago of a app for Ipads and Iphones calle Quick Calc I don't know if it is the one or not.

Janie67 03-06-2014 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 6611602)
I don't. I do have a very small stash started in Florida. I used my IPad to take some pictures of the fabric to remind myself of what I had down there. I also photographed the rulers and plastic box of sewing notions and thread for the same reason.

I cannot not imagine taking photos of my stash but I do keep a book in my purse with the names of my books, patterns, rulers and templates so I do not buy duplicates. Ha ha

nme1974 03-06-2014 05:49 AM

The iPad app is Stash Star Fabric...it's free. I've not worked with it much, but since I'm just starting my stash, it seems like a good way to go...

Amythyst02 03-06-2014 07:33 AM

Sigh I don't even have an app for anything : (