Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Fabrics into strips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/fabrics-into-strips-t186830.html)

donac 04-22-2012 01:54 AM

Fabrics into strips

I am trying to organize my fabrics. I have lots of small pieces and I am tired of all the the mess I have. I have them in many bins. Some according to colors and some according to patterns.

A couple of weeks ago I started to cut the smaller pieces into strips. I am cutting them into 6 1/2, 5 1/2, 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. ANything super long I am folding and putting into a box.

The fabric that I have cut has been sitting around for a while so I am hoping that since it is cut I will use it for some quilts to use up the fabric.

I love scrappy quilts and hope to make some lap quilts for my nieces and nephews for Christmas when I am off this summer.

wolph33 04-22-2012 03:26 AM

they will be easy to grab and start a scrappy top after you have the strips cut.

Briarberry 04-22-2012 05:18 AM

I like this idea and need to do it! Thanks for sharing.

elizajo 04-22-2012 10:06 AM

When I was thinking about setting up a scrap saver's system like Bonnie Hunter describes in her books and her quiltville.com, I looked at the patterns I liked the best. Turns out most of the ones I like the have 1.5", 2", and some 3.5 inch strips. So I would recommend doing a survey of your favorite patterns and making a little chart of what you need. I think she also recommends sorting each size into lights and darks.

I don't stash alot of fabric without a quilt in mind, so I tend to cut my fabric as it comes in by project. I only have a small supply of left-over strips. But I do want to get to the point that I have drawers of pre-cut strips ready for scrappy quilts.

sherryl57 04-23-2012 03:54 AM

scrappy quilts

try one of Bonnie Hunter books.She is a whiz at organizing scraps and then cranking out beautiful quilts.

MaryAnnMc 04-23-2012 04:26 AM

I decided to save my scraps a la Bonnie Hunter, and realized it was a mistake. Instead of cutting all those small pieces, I should have left it all as strips. I can always cut smaller from a strip. From now on, strips it is. I think the sizes you chose are perfect. a 5.5" strip can be recut to 2 and 2.5" if necessary.

jeaninmaine 04-23-2012 12:10 PM

I like the idea of just doing the strips when you can.

wraez 04-24-2012 03:50 AM

Organizing fabric scraps is an ongoing challenge for me. I have those large see thru plastic zip bags that mattress pads / comforters etc come in and try to put long strips in one, larger pieces for nickels etc in another, smaller crumbs in another, on and on. But they still get mixed up.

Latrinka 04-24-2012 05:30 PM

I usually cut mine into 2 and 1/2 inch strips.

Country1 04-25-2012 01:41 AM

Great job. I started a while back trying to do that, then something happened and that was that.