Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   A few pics of my sewing and fabric rooms, still organizing... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/few-pics-my-sewing-fabric-rooms-still-organizing-t176941.html)

kiffie2413 01-25-2012 02:52 PM

A few pics of my sewing and fabric rooms, still organizing...

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I am so trying to get my sewing and fabric rooms organized, as I fear a knock on the door any day now from the producers of the "Hoarding" shows...lol.. I am attaching a few pics of some of the progress. I also must give a lot of the credit to my dh, as he builds lots of things for me...In the 1st pic I have a quilt top I just finished hanging on the design wall dh made me...I really wish I was as nice as he is...(wait, was that out loud??..;))
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306154[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]306155[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]306156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]306157[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]306158[/ATTACH]
I have ordered in several of the comic book backing boards, and am currently trying to figure out the best way to fold my fabrics that are less than 1 yard (more than that I use the bolts that my lqs owner was just throwing out). I also am wondering does anyone have any hints on how they organize strip sets, like a jelly roll? I also have a lot of layer cakes and charm squares that I have been storing in bags, right now they are just stacked and I have them in cubbies of the wall unit dh made me, any different ideas for those? Thanks all!
Kif
PS sorry pics are so small, I cannot figure out how to post them larger, when I try it says upload failed...Next time my IT son stops by I will have to get his help on this!..

ksdot417 01-25-2012 02:56 PM

Looks great. You're off to a terrific start.

kiffie2413 01-25-2012 08:26 PM

Thanks ks.

Limey 01-26-2012 04:02 AM

I've taken to storing selected strips on empty kitchen roll tubes.

AUQuilter 01-26-2012 06:18 AM

I have my 2.5" strips (that I cut) in the clear IRIS brand shoe boxes by the color of the strip. Jelly rolls can be put on dowels and rigged to hang from a closet rod. Since your DH is handy, he might come up with a clever design that will fit into your sewing room. As far as the layer cakes and charm size cuts, I picked up the 12X12 Protect n Store boxes that are sold at Joann in the scrapbooking aisle when I had 2 50% off coupons (they end up at $3.50 each). http://www.joann.com/12x12-protect-n...ox/xprd881677/ I like clear storage so I can put an index card cut to size in the front of the box to show what is in it and then as my stash rotates - I just change out the card.

MarthaT 01-26-2012 06:57 AM

I store my misc. charm squares in the plastic boxes that cherry tomatoes come in from Sam's Club (they are bigger boxes than the boxes they come in from the grocery store). I've also used other plastic boxes from fruits and veggies for the jelly rolls, etc.

luvTooQuilt 01-26-2012 07:06 AM

I put my charms in plastic sq containers. Found some in a garage sale for $.10 so i bought them all- they fit perfectly and the lid snaps shut.. I only have one jelly roll and its plopped on my shelf.. Just sitting there looking pretty (collecting dust really).. the rest I have in sterilite containers by size (1.5xWOF, 2xWOF, 2.5xWOF,3xWOF,3.5WOF).. I ruler fold anything under a yard and a half.. anything 2 yards or longer I just roll back on the bots that they came on from the LQS..

Looks like you are off to a great start.. Your room looks awesome... And a wonderful hubby for takin care of your quilting needs !!! Bookcases look awesome.. :thumbup:

kiffie2413 01-26-2012 06:22 PM

Thanks all, for the suggestions and replies/encouragement! luvTooQuilt: I got a great laugh out of your saying that your one jelly roll is plopped on your shelf, looking pretty (collecting dust really)... My jelly rolls are also "dust bunny friendly"...or were, as I am trying to at least make all of the stuff I do have stay nice long enough for me to actually use it! I just love all things to do with quilting, and it is so easy to see something, think how pretty it is, and then gather things to make it...not so easy to finish them all...but that is exactly what I am really working on doing!! I need to go to a "Quilter's anonymous" meeting!...or rather a "Have good intentions to quilt" anonymous meeting!...If I could get the free motion quilting thing down, I know it would go quicker...but I seem to revert back to my old hand-quilting ways...Don't get me wrong, I love hand-quilting; but I really want to get the fmq down, and get a lot of my pieced tops quilted!!
Take care all,
Kif

janjanq 01-27-2012 04:04 AM

Where do you get your Comic book backing boards. Several members have mentioned them and I've always wondered where I can get some.

echoemb 01-27-2012 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq (Post 4915060)
Where do you get your Comic book backing boards. Several members have mentioned them and I've always wondered where I can get some.

Look on Amazon. They are approximately $12.00/100. I cut mine in half for my FQ's and smaller pieces of fabric. I ruler fold my pieces over a yard.