Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Help! How do you organize smaller pieces of fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/help-how-do-you-organize-smaller-pieces-fabric-t234907.html)

PghPat 11-17-2013 04:50 AM

Help! How do you organize smaller pieces of fabric?

I do like using the ruler fold method but my problem is that I have LOTS and LOTS of fabric that measures less than a yard. Other than sorting by solids, flowers, etc I don't know how to fold them and store them.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pat

Tartan 11-17-2013 05:14 AM

Anything over a yard I have on my mini bolts. Fat quarters are folded and have their own drawer. I have 1 platic tote with weirdly shaped under a yard pieces and 1 bin of what I consider scraps.

Bobbielinks 11-17-2013 05:18 AM

I use a 3 drawer roll around plastic container. I just fold the fabric, sort by color and place in the drawers standing the folded fabric on end so I can see the colors without needing to take them out of the drawers. I do like to place the larger pieces in the bottom drawer, the fat quarter sizes in the middle drawer, and the smaller pieces in the top drawer.

QuiltE 11-17-2013 05:51 AM

For me, I like my FQs accessible with my longer lengths of fabrics.

Anything over a metre is folded 1/4 WOF then to about a 6" width, and is labelled with painters tape as to the length.
Under a metre is folded like you would a FQ.
Shape tells me the basic sizing.

All are stored in plastic bins about 6" deep ... on end, so that when I open it up, I can see the different fabric and colour possibilities.

Bins are labelled (again painters tape to the rescue) as to contents and are sorted by colour(s), with extra bins for seasonal/Christmas, florals and birds, batiks and novelties.

lfletcher 11-17-2013 06:07 AM

Less than a yard, I store with my fat quarters in drawers by color. Scraps that can be folded, I store in a drawer by color. Smaller scraps are thrown in those plastic drawer bins by color. (I rarely seem to use them so when the bins get full, I donate them to a church group that loves to use scraps.)

mighty 11-17-2013 07:15 AM

Fat quarters I store in a drawer. I have a lot of small pieces in plastic containers however they are not very well organized.

coastienest 11-17-2013 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I do a couple things. First I have fat qtrs. folded and standing on end in a shallow plastic container, all arranged by color. Secondly my Asian fat qtrs. are stored on my open shelving, stacked on top of one another. I attached a picture so you can have a visual. Then all my fabric yardage is also stored in these open crates stacked on top of each other on top of a filing cabinet/drawer unit. If I have a 1/2 or more yard of what I have in that same yardage I will put it with that fabric. If not it is put into another plastic container marked 1/4 yard. If I cut the leftover into strips or squares I also have corresponding containers for that piece.
One thing I have learned to do also is to have a separate container for pieces left from a project. If I finished a project and there is fabric left I will put it there and heaven for bid if I need to make a repair way down the line, I have the fabric I need. I'm not talking yardage or amounts like that, but will keep 1/4 yards and under. I keep it separate then I know I won't use it for future projects. And then again if I make something and decide later I'd like a pillow or a little wall hanging to coordinate with that piece, I have the matching fabric.
Hope I haven't confused you too much.

tessagin 11-17-2013 12:13 PM

Mine is sorted pretty much the way yours is just doesn't look it.HMMM?

Originally Posted by coastienest (Post 6409921)
Well, I do a couple things. First I have fat qtrs. folded and standing on end in a shallow plastic container, all arranged by color. Secondly my Asian fat qtrs. are stored on my open shelving, stacked on top of one another. I attached a picture so you can have a visual. Then all my fabric yardage is also stored in these open crates stacked on top of each other on top of a filing cabinet/drawer unit. If I have a 1/2 or more yard of what I have in that same yardage I will put it with that fabric. If not it is put into another plastic container marked 1/4 yard. If I cut the leftover into strips or squares I also have corresponding containers for that piece.
One thing I have learned to do also is to have a separate container for pieces left from a project. If I finished a project and there is fabric left I will put it there and heaven for bid if I need to make a repair way down the line, I have the fabric I need. I'm not talking yardage or amounts like that, but will keep 1/4 yards and under. I keep it separate then I know I won't use it for future projects. And then again if I make something and decide later I'd like a pillow or a little wall hanging to coordinate with that piece, I have the matching fabric.
Hope I haven't confused you too much.

coastienest 11-17-2013 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6409926)
Mine is sorted pretty much the way yours is just doesn't look it.HMMM?

Trust me. There are days I wonder what happened myself

PghPat 11-17-2013 06:15 PM

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.....lots of good ideas. I did order 2 of those DVD cases and thought it they don't work for the fabric they would be very good to carry lots of my rulers back and forth when I go from North to South and back. Can't wait to get them.