Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How to create a cohesive room from hand me downs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-create-cohesive-room-hand-me-downs-t264438.html)

GemQuilts 04-24-2015 06:31 PM

How to create a cohesive room from hand me downs

Hi,

My sewing room is in my basement and it's a crazy-a** mixture of stuff. I have my grandmother's sewing cabinet from the '40s (which I hope to retrofit to my sewing machine), my mother's vintage china cupboard from the '60s, a Joann cutting table, an executive desk I got when my office moved and gave away furniture, and a mixture of little tables and filing cabinets.

My problem is how to combine all these different elements into one look. I love the shabby chic/vintage look, so the older items aren't a problem. How do I incorporate the newer/laminate stuff into the mix? I saw some super cute filing cabinet makeovers on Pinterest, but the executive desk is dark and very plain (it also weighs a ton so no chance of moving it out of the basement).

Ideas?

Karen

bearisgray 04-24-2015 07:27 PM

Arrange it so it is as functional as you can get it.

quiltingcandy 04-24-2015 07:32 PM

When I put my sewing room together I did it based on how I move around the room. Since I usually have the TV on, the sewing machine I use the most is across the room but it faces the TV and my back is to the wall. My window looks right into the side of the garage so not a great view but it is natural light so I have my embroidery machine up against the wall with the embroidery machine - next to the EM on the right is the cabinet that holds all the embroidery thread and various items I intend to embroider and next to that on the right is my treadle. (It opens up over the cabinet.) My cutting table is a full length mirror that folds out to be a 6 ft table. But it stays out of the way until I need it. And all my bins of fabric are kept in the closet with labels to help me remember what is in each one.

So what I am trying to say is you need to see what flows for you. I have had my sewing room about 8 years now and I am just now feeling that I have it right. But that is because I keep adding and changing things.

GemQuilts 04-25-2015 01:54 AM

Thanks, those are great ideas!

gigi712 04-25-2015 03:12 AM

Paint can be your best friend. If all the pieces are the same color it will look very cohesive and pretty too.

Bubbie 04-25-2015 04:10 AM

Paint, paint, paint. It can take something from "ho hum, to wow" in no time. You can paint anything into being "Shabby Chic or Vintage" in about an hour. My sewing corner is ALL hand me down or thrift store finds ($20 and under), paint turned them all into a complete sewing area. That looks like it was always meant to be together. The same goes for any covers you need (recovered my sewing chair $10 find, but looked tired), made a skirt to cover the opening of my sewing cabinet (sewing chair and skirt are the same, so is the dog bed). You can have fun turning your sewing area into a place you love to be, and have fun doing it.

Jackie Spencer 04-25-2015 04:54 AM

I too love shabby chic. You can get alot of idea's from pinterest. I would paint that ole desk first. Your lucky to have so many vintage pieces!!

amandasgramma 04-25-2015 06:36 AM

Paint....yip, that's a good piece of advice. :) I had a sewing room that I "collected for". I had 2 legal file (2 drawer) cabinets that were ugly (wood). Painted them yellow and then hubby layed a sliding closet door on the top. Wasn't tall enough for cutting, so he built a framework out of 2x4s and but them between the door and the files. Got the file cabinets for $5.00 each at garage sale. Then I used the sewing cabinet from my first MIL -- eventually painted it. On the left I had a big desk my folks gave me.....about 4 feet long. I used it for an ironing pad......and junk. Worked for me!!!! Oh, bought some cheap shelving off Amazon.....$15.00 each and free shipping. :) Now I'm trying to figure out the best set-up in our RV.....limited space....whew!

madamekelly 04-25-2015 07:41 PM

They now make spray paint for plastic, so you can pick a color you like, and make all the laminate work with the curtains and carpet. Use them as pops of color, like accent pillows in a livingroom. Paint the lamnate a gloss black and pretend they are laquer ware? Go to you tube and watch the video on painting a sewing machine, and borrow her ideas to work on the laminate? I hope all of this kick starts your imagination. Lol! Let us know what you come up with.

solstice3 04-26-2015 06:18 AM

Arrange it so it is functional for you then assess the look and change it up to meet your taste with paint, doilies or anything else that works.