Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How do you store CAKE LAYERS? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-cake-layers-t206702.html)

coffeebreak 11-22-2012 07:54 PM

How do you store CAKE LAYERS?

I am getting into Fat Quarters...getting them for half price at Joann's sales but I just won a "mystery box" that included a full line of MODA fat quarters and a full line of MODA cake layers.

I fold the FQ's into the small squares they were bought in and have then standing upright in a plastic container...but what about the cake layers? There isn't much there to fold and able to "see" in a pile...I think there is 40 cake layers in 6 colors and one of each of the prints in the line. I don't know how to store them! Any suggestions?

happyquiltmom 11-22-2012 08:23 PM

I would store them flat, either in a drawer or in a box of some sort. Maybe an empty (new) pizza box?

auntpiggylpn 11-22-2012 08:53 PM

I have a shelf for all my precuts and I store them laying flat. Same with my charm packs too.

LoisM 11-22-2012 10:31 PM

I just saw some 12"w x 12"w x 2"h clear plastic boxes designed for scrapbook pages while at Joann's the other day. They had them in the fabric section of the store as well. I thought "layer cake" the second I saw them.

Congratulations on the spectacular win!

kathdavis 11-22-2012 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by LoisM (Post 5674197)
I just saw some 12"w x 12"w x 2"h clear plastic boxes designed for scrapbook pages while at Joann's the other day. They had them in the fabric section of the store as well. I thought "layer cake" the second I saw them.

Congratulations on the spectacular win!

Yep, the scrapbook storage containers are $3.99 on Saturday from 7 AM to noon at JoAnns, or they are $2.99 at Michaels on Saturday from 8 AM to 10 PM.

vondae 11-23-2012 01:48 AM

I agree with LoisM & kathdavis, I use the scrapbook paper boxes I get on sale at Joann's. Works great. If you can't find a good way to store at your house, I would be glad to let them come live at mine. Ha Ha. I love the precuts!!! Great win (mystery box). Congratulations.

coffeebreak 11-23-2012 12:23 PM

Thanks everyone. First thing I have ever won in my life!!

But That is how I have them now..in a box flat. But how do you go through them to choose? I mean with fat q's nad even yardage, it is folded a certain way, and put on the shelf..and you just peruse down and across to see the about 1/2 inch showing to choose a fabric/color or pattern then just grab it. If the cake layers are all just stacked on top of each other...you have to flip through each and every one to find what you want and probably multiple times. I guess...put them in order of color but still...am I trying to be to organized?

bearisgray 11-23-2012 12:25 PM

Fold them in half, then you can at least see what color the piece is.

coffeebreak 11-23-2012 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5675010)
Fold them in half, then you can at least see what color the piece is.

Yeah, I guess I could just fold them like a FQ...just smaller they'd be and put them int he front of the box before the FQ's. Thanks everyone!

nstitches4u 11-23-2012 09:05 PM

Lucky you! I store mine flat in the cabinet. It saves having to press them before use.