Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   If you could have the sewing room of your choice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/if-you-could-have-sewing-room-your-choice-t118111.html)

Jan in VA 04-22-2011 11:57 PM

Windows!!
With views and natural light.
Easily cleaned, smooth flooring....NO carpeting!
Doors/drawers to hide clutter.
Height-adjustable rolling chair.
A TV, radio, or CD player.

Jan in VA

Hosta 04-23-2011 12:17 AM

sky lights, floor to ceiling cupboards a large wall mounted tv hardwood floors

Airwick156 04-23-2011 12:23 AM

I would like to my sewing room to have a great big bay window overlooking the ocean. A cutting table that you can turn. An ironing station with one of those pop up irons that fons and porter uses. I want an area that is big enough that I can lay out a king sized quilt to sandwich. But my dream is to have a robot that would sandwich my quilts, pin or baste them or tie them or whatever and then when they are all done..the same robot to do the handsewing. As you see, I don't want much. But if I have to chose only one of these things...I would choose the big bay window overlooking the ocean. Theres nothing like relaxing on the beach just looking at the waves coming in.

sak658 04-23-2011 12:36 AM

If mine was a little bigger, I'd be jumping with joy, but I'm happy with what I have.

Rose L 04-23-2011 12:40 AM

I have had a nice sewing room for about a year now and I have everything I need but of course there are a few things I'd still like to add for my own comfort and/or organization. Like a dental assistants chair for my LA and a hanging system for my rulers and stencils.

My big big dream is to build a large log building out at the ranch so I can hold quilting retreats and classes for kids and adults. I love this craft so very much that I want to do what I can to pass it on to the next generations. I would also like it to be a spot for the local ladies to hold quilting bee's and gatherings. I drool at the idea of decorating it all out in Farmhouse style and serving all sorts of great foods and desserts. Completely self contained with bedrooms and work rooms and even a big fireplace for just sitting and relaxing!

zennia 04-23-2011 01:26 AM

The only thing I would add to mine is a computer.

Little RoO 04-23-2011 01:37 AM

We are currently converting a bedroom into my sewing room....has a large window so lots of light and pretty views of the garden (ocean might be nicer I agree)...but we have gutted the room, and are in the process of putting loads of storage in, a table in at my height, loads of power sockets, good lighting and an area for cutting and ironing .....it is only a tiny bedroom just about 11"x 11" but it is my space !
I have to save I am really lucky and am loving it....thanks to my husband

hopetoquilt 04-23-2011 01:48 AM

As I have said before, I am a minimalist. I try to only buy/keep what I need and what really makes me happy. Anything beyond that just requires so much energy to maintain. That said, I am looking to move in the next 5 years from a 2 story to a ranch house. I want something with an open floor plan. My perfect quilt room would be a large corner in the living area where I can quilt and be part of the family activity. I don't want to be in a closed room away from all the activity. I just got the perfect quilting table (table where there is a hole to drop down my sewing machine. I would use my book case (now cluttered with tons of kids books) for a shelf of quilting books which I love to collect and read and reread and my fabrics. I like having a television to watch while I quilt also. I would also probably want to get a cutting table and set it up next to my quilting table in an L shape like Leah Day suggests. I think that would be perfect.

thequilteddove 04-23-2011 02:14 AM

most important yes!

Originally Posted by sandraa
Lots of good natural lighting and tons of storage.

Painiacs 04-23-2011 02:47 AM

Boy I love the ideas!!!