Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Lighting for new sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/lighting-new-sewing-room-t225652.html)

NoraM 07-12-2013 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6174112)
While halogen gets very hot, I do love the light from them. Find it very clean. I have halogen under cabinet lights in my kitchen and a halogen desk lamp that I use for hand sewing. I'd love to do halogen track lighting in my sewing room but not willing to deal with plaster/lathe ceiling at this point. Maybe one day. I'd sew naked to use halogen lights!

Lol! I really want the clean light, too. I'm wondering if good air circulation would help keep it cooler in the room.

jeaninmaine 07-13-2013 05:32 AM

I use 4' daylight florescent lights above my sewing table and above the cutting table. Thoughout the rest of the house I use the curley Q daylight bulbs. Neither of these get hot. DH has a problem with depression and this helps in the winter when there's so little sun plus it allows for everything to be the right color. I've been using them for about 5 years and so far have only had to change two bulbs. A 25 watt bulb gives off as much light as a regular 100 watt bulb so it's a lot less expensive on our electric bill.

mjhaess 07-13-2013 06:24 AM

I will be watching the answers here since I will be putting lighting in my new sewing room...

ShirlinAZ 07-13-2013 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine (Post 6174822)
I use 4' daylight florescent lights above my sewing table and above the cutting table. Thoughout the rest of the house I use the curley Q daylight bulbs. Neither of these get hot. DH has a problem with depression and this helps in the winter when there's so little sun plus it allows for everything to be the right color. I've been using them for about 5 years and so far have only had to change two bulbs. A 25 watt bulb gives off as much light as a regular 100 watt bulb so it's a lot less expensive on our electric bill.

I changed out all my lights to these and I love love love them. Had halogens in a previous home and hated the heat they gave off, and I did not find the light nearly as clean and bright as the daylight fluorescents.

tessagin 07-13-2013 07:17 AM

Those new lights that look like spirals. Suppose to be more efficient. I have a lot of natural light that comes into my sewing room. BUT I have sunny yellow walls. I really don't have trouble with the colors when I have the blinds open. We have binocular neighbors. LOL! I wave at them often and they get out of their window quickly then I put up my design panel wall and they give up! LOL!

Quiltlady330 07-13-2013 07:18 AM

I have a light box in the center of the room ceiling with florescent bulbs...2 about 4 ft long... They have lasted for years with changing only once and don't give off heat. I also have a large double window across the room and a table Ott light if I need concentrated light for a particular project. I believe good lighting is so essential. I have never regretted using florescent bulbs. My room is painted a creamy yellow so I'm sure that helps as well.

DonnaR 07-13-2013 07:22 AM

My husband just changed all the lights in my sewing room. You have to look for the right fixtures and bulbs. The are flourscent (sp) but they are the new T12. They are brighter and they give off no heat. I have had them for about 6 months and I just love them so much more light and no heat. We got them at Lowes.

NoraM 07-13-2013 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaR (Post 6175064)
My husband just changed all the lights in my sewing room. You have to look for the right fixtures and bulbs. The are flourscent (sp) but they are the new T12. They are brighter and they give off no heat. I have had them for about 6 months and I just love them so much more light and no heat. We got them at Lowes.

When I Googled te T12, the article I found said that manufacturers will cease production of T12s at the end of this month in favor of more energy-efficient T8 and T5 lamps. I have no idea if there will be a compatible replacement for the T12. You might want to stock up! http://www.p-2.com/helpful-informati...-out-in-july-/

Cam's gram 07-13-2013 08:41 AM

I asked about what would be the best lighting for sewing at the lighting store we did our house through - they said florescent is the best task lighting. Since we were building, I could accommodate anything.

ktbb 07-13-2013 08:54 AM

I too installed halogen in my sewing room and took them out because of the heat. One way to use them and avoid the head issue is to use them in up-lights so the light bounces off the ceiling instead of shining directly on the workstation. It still gets warm in the area, but no direct heat on the body! Reflected light also helps eliminate shadows that can sometimes be a pain in the workspace.

I installed an inexpensive dining room light fixture in my sewing room - 6 bulbs providing down light = and as soon as I use up all my regular bulbs I'm going straight daylight bulbs.