Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Lighting for new sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/lighting-new-sewing-room-t225652.html)

nstitches4u 07-14-2013 06:07 PM

I had halogen lights in my old sewing room (actually , they are still there, I just have a new sewing room!) and I didn't like them. The light was great, but they put out a lot of heat. It was OK in the winter, I just turned the thermostat down, but it was hot in the summer. It fought the airconditioner.

janice1120 07-14-2013 06:10 PM

I'm also interested in the right lighting, we are building a new home and am looking at putting in several recessed lights or fluorescent lights, don't know which to do, but need to make up my mind very shortly, any help?

crafterrn1 07-15-2013 08:10 AM

There are 2 types of LED lights. I always look for the daylight bulbs. They are nice and bright. The warm light bulbs are a mellow color and seem not as bright. Luann

KathleenBazz 07-15-2013 12:34 PM

Hi! I'm in the process of locating replacement for my halogen "sweat shop" track lighting!! It was fine all winter but I like the flex of the swirly track but not the heat.. i literally strip down to sew... I'll bite the bullet and get LED's to light up the room and not turn it into a sauna!

crzypatcher 07-15-2013 03:44 PM

I just got replacement LED 's for my halogen. When I got them home I noticed that they said non-dimmable. The fixture in my sewing room has a dimmer. I'm going to put them in the one in my kitchen that has no dimmer and try them out for color and brightness. I will double check with Home Depot to see if it's ok to put them in a dimmable fixture, just not use the dimmer switch. I don't want to take the chance and blow them, they cost $12.00 a piece!!

Jingle 07-16-2013 12:36 PM

Best light I ever had was a shop light with fluorescent lights. In new sewing room I have under cabinet throw away fluorescent lights. I have three of them under the upper cabinets. I cut and iron on the 90" countertop.

Mousie 07-24-2013 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6175059)
Those new lights that look like spirals. Suppose to be more efficient. I have a lot of natural light that comes into my sewing room. BUT I have sunny yellow walls. I really don't have trouble with the colors when I have the blinds open. We have binocular neighbors. LOL! I wave at them often and they get out of their window quickly then I put up my design panel wall and they give up! LOL!

good grief! they think your Brooke Shields on that commercial! :D

NoraM 07-25-2013 04:50 PM

Thank you, all, for your input. I decided to go with halogen track lights. They were installed in my new sewing room this morning. I've worked under them all day today, and so far they've not felt too hot. The light is terrific, and my quilts look very different. I've been quilting in the dining room, which is yellow with an orange accent wall. The walls in my sewing room are a light gray. Now I have to get the rest of the room set up, and my quilting frame comes in the middle of August. Can't wait!!

Txladybugs 08-14-2013 10:41 PM

I am also redoing my sewing room and at the moment I have a ceiling fan with 4 bulbs, not good...i am considering putting in the new LED recessed lights, I dont want to go fluorescent and look like a shop, any suggestions?

zozee 08-15-2013 06:24 PM

The halogen floor lamp I have gets way too hot. I am about to replace it. Not only is it uncomfortable in the summer to work near it , I think it may be a fire hazard. I have multiple lamps around the room (a guest room/craft room) but would love to find something bright and out of the way that's close to my sewing machine .So I am reading others' suggestions here as well.