Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Lighting for new sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/lighting-new-sewing-room-t225652.html)

NoraM 07-12-2013 09:39 AM

Lighting for new sewing room

Hi all -new poster/member here. My oldest recently moved out, and I now have a small bedroom that I can have for my sewing room. :) I plan to paint it a light grey with white trim, because I don't want any color influences from the walls as I work. I'm also putting in track lighting. Does anyone here use halogen track lights? If so, what are the pros/cons? The ones I'm looking at have dimmer switches. I'm still undecided about the halogen, but if I go that route, I also plan to have an incandescent or florescent option on a gooseneck.

Any thoughts?

grannie cheechee 07-12-2013 10:09 AM

Some of the lights can be HOT. I have a light in the middle of the room above the cutting table, and if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have had them put up. It has two arms with three lights on each, and it gets hot on your head or back. I wish now I had my DH put in a florescent light. This is just my opinion. Live and learn.

NoraM 07-12-2013 10:18 AM

That's GOOD to know! The lights I'm looking at are a similar design. I don't want to be uncomfortable while I work. I just want good light.

crafterrn1 07-12-2013 11:54 AM

Go for the LED lights they last a long time! Luann

carolaug 07-12-2013 12:31 PM

We just installed tqo helogen lights under our kitchen cabinets, they get very hot. We made a mistake getting them. We are debating on replacing them. they are wired in.

vondae 07-12-2013 01:43 PM

They make the new curley Q light bulb in a daylight version. That is the only light I will buy. It gives off a bright (like outdoors) light & true colors. I used to use the old style & couldn't figure out why every paint color I tried looked orange. Well, we discovered it was the bulbs we were using. Now I don't have to worry when I am trying to audition my colors.
I buy my bulbs at Home Depot. You can get a box of 12 bulbs for a little less than $12.00.
Just something to think about.

Pat M. 07-12-2013 01:44 PM

My small 3 light halogen strip is hotter that Hell! I wish we hadn't put them up.

NJ Quilter 07-12-2013 04:56 PM

While halogen gets very hot, I do love the light from them. Find it very clean. I have halogen under cabinet lights in my kitchen and a halogen desk lamp that I use for hand sewing. I'd love to do halogen track lighting in my sewing room but not willing to deal with plaster/lathe ceiling at this point. Maybe one day. I'd sew naked to use halogen lights!

NoraM 07-12-2013 07:56 PM

What are curley Q lights? Florescent?

NoraM 07-12-2013 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 (Post 6173747)
Go for the LED lights they last a long time! Luann

Do LED lights give off enough light? The ones I've seen always seem a bit bluish and not very bright/