Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Media Storage? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/media-storage-t230267.html)

Lauray 09-15-2013 05:18 AM

Media Storage?

I was perusing an old magazine and came upon a picture of a very well known art quilter's work space. On it was fabric swatches, a journal with notes and drawings and (are your ready?) polaroid pictures. This was only seven years ago and got me to thinking about all the changes we quilters have seen. What has been your biggest change? And, how do you keep track of: torn pages from magazines, whole magazines, patterns, CD's, e-mags, e-articles, many books, computer files, this wonderful blog and Pinterest. There are so many resources and great ideas, but how do I remember where you saw it?

DebraK 09-15-2013 05:25 AM

i use Evernote to save images and tutorials that I run across.

thimblebug6000 09-15-2013 06:40 AM

Hadn't heard of Evernote, so looked it up and I see it's free also. Is it alot different than Pinterest?

DebraK 09-15-2013 07:29 AM

it's more private than pinterest. just a filing or organizational system for notes, information, and ideas. I keep a lot of recipes there too. Shopping information, etc..

Lauray 09-15-2013 03:56 PM

Thanks Debra I hadn't heard of Evernote either. I'll check it out.

NJ Quilter 09-15-2013 06:14 PM

Must check that out as well. Sounds interesting...on a host of different levels! Thanks.

tessagin 09-15-2013 06:31 PM

When I come across anything I like I add to my favorites. I also have some on jump drives. Today I came across a Flying Geese rotary Cutting Chart. I printed the chart so I would have it nearby. I keep all charts of any kind in a notebook nearby. Block charts for quilt sizes and all others similar to.

Jackie Spencer 09-16-2013 05:39 AM

I put everything in Favorites also in a folder, tagged "Jackie's Stuff"

DonnaC 09-16-2013 11:46 AM

I'm trying to get all the stuff I've pulled out of magazines over the years (and believe me, it's a LOT of stuff in many different crafts, not just quilting!) scanned and saved on my computer (and after that, onto my external hard drive). I use a hand-held scanner by VuPoint that I bought from HSN. Have made some progress, but I still have lots to do!

beckyj 05-30-2016 08:12 AM

f

File folders, I start with categories. sewing, recipes, house, ect, one top file box. Then take a file and break down into categories, strips, squares, triangles. When folder gets to thick, I make more subcategories. log cabin, rail fence, roman stripe, ect. also have folders for stars, squares and triangles, applique and keep going. Tried in binders, to much work, and when going thru, hard to pull out several to look at and tastes change , to thin out to discard.LIke folders or when have lots of small pictures, easy to put enevlope in folders to hold.