Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Need help sorting fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/need-help-sorting-fabric-t182573.html)

pippi65 02-23-2013 09:56 PM

That is a problem. I have all my polka dots together, my stripes together, my hand dyed fabric together. You really need to figure out the easiest way to find what you need when you want to make something. Do what you think will work for you or so what I did and called my friend over for two days she sorted it all out while I folded and fed her!!

craftygal63 02-24-2013 11:01 AM

That's a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" kind of question. I resort frequently when my brain is on overload! Sometimes by fabric line, then by color, then by theme, then by pattern requirements...then it starts all over again depending on the time of day, season, holiday.

sandyl 04-05-2013 02:54 AM

I have recently re-done my sewing room and found that when sorting fabric if I put an off white with red and pink flowers in my red pile.....it looks out of place. So I moved it to the white background pile....still not right so it is now with the pinks. Apparently I see pink when I look at that piece. Funny how different colors scream at you if they are placed in the wrong pile.

fleurdelisquilts 04-05-2013 08:55 PM

Let's see, I use a "Mary system" basically don't spend any time debating it....go with the gut/first reaction. If it's one of those fabrics that this won't work for, I use the background color. After that, it goes in a "who knows" pile, because really, who knows which color it is. Like most, I have special fabrics, 1930's, batiks, etc.

petthefabric 04-05-2013 10:08 PM

I have a space designated "can't decide the color". Looking for something in a paticular color, helps define the color.

Mazda 05-01-2013 03:13 PM

This was a great thread for me. I am getting shelves and 12 clear containers for my fabric. I can hardly wait to get it put together! Right now I just have one huge, heavy, overflowing tub of fabric. Then small stacks around the room.

redbugsullivan 03-20-2015 07:33 PM

I just put an Ikea storage shelf, including side table, into my sewing room. This thread has given me much food for thought! All I was thinking was folding to fit!!!

zozee 03-20-2015 08:31 PM

I have 4 big bins labeled
"Eeny,"
"Meeny,"
"Miney" and
"Mo."

Just kidding. I sort my fabrics in a ROY G BIVly way in a dresser. Blacks, white, creams and greys go at at the end.
Works for me; my stash is not large.

Nammie to 7 03-24-2015 06:52 AM

I couldn't decide where to keep a layer cake -- it was easier to just make a quilt out of it. The quilt is now in my closet waiting to go to the quilt show. :D

mulberryellie 03-24-2015 12:27 PM

Hello

I sort my designer and ranges ie all my figtree ranges together, all my 3 sisters ranges together etc, I also group my civil war together, my flannels, my geometrics or obvious moderns together. I keep all my vintage fabrics together. My liberty lawn are also separate. Anything left without a home is then separated by colour.

.......which makes me realise I need to get sewing!