Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   It is okay if you don't have a stash... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/okay-if-you-dont-have-stash-t215661.html)

loves_2_quilt 03-06-2013 03:35 PM

It is okay to have a stash, but I too am starting to feel that I have way too much. I am trying to edit and use what I have before buying more. I have not been too successful in using much, but I have a lot to use too.
Debbie

owlvamp 03-06-2013 03:35 PM

I don't have much of a stash either. I usually buy as I go but have a little bit. I do a lot of charity quilts and I love to crochet. I don't keep a stash of yarn on hand either. Wish I did!! When I run out of fabric (I don't have a a lot of scraps) I go to crocheting. But used up most everything I had for hats, scarves and afghans. It's been a joy to do what I do. I will cut up bags and old sheets to crochet. I love using old jeans and clothes for quilting. I usually go to family for there good old jeans. I've just about at that point again. I've used up almost everything I have. But I did get some fabric in from a board member. Plus have some fabric for a certain quilt. I have the room just not the dollars. :)

Dolphyngyrl 03-06-2013 05:21 PM

I agree, I buy what I need, and most people never end up using the stash they spent all that money on and it gets sold at estate sales. I intend to use what I buy. I have a tub and a half, enough projects for a few years, and I think I have too much honestly.

dajordanmsn 03-06-2013 05:22 PM

I'd say that's it a one sentence. I don't collect knit fabric but the new quilt fabrics are gorgeous and I can't pass them up. My husband is always asking when I intend to use it all and the poor man is right because when Mom died (1995) I inherited her stash too, so my stash is large but I do what others do and make scrap quilts for babies and seniors at church. Then I ass to my stash again.:D

helou 03-06-2013 05:51 PM

I do not have a big stash at all and I intend to use it as I go along. I have been quilting for 6 or 7 years, on and off. I made one big quilt, I am handquilting my second one which is a lap quilt size and I just finished piecing my third one which is a large one, using leftovers and small pieces of fabrics I bought when I took a quilting class.
I haven't bought fabrics for the last 2 years except to make the borders of the last quilt . That's just the way I was brought up, "do something with what you have"... and I really feel better that way.
I read how some quilters get overwhelmed with bins of scraps and pieces of fabrics they own. I would be paralyzed by it. That's just me and I want to enjoy it, not get controlled by my fabrics. It forces me to get creative I guess!

leatheflea 03-07-2013 04:55 AM

I'll be glad when mine is gone, I wish I'd never started stashing! But of course I never turn down free fabric. Its a love/hate relationship. I love having it when i need it, but I hate keeping it stored, takes up too much valuable space.

CRO 03-07-2013 06:44 AM

I buy for each project and have leftovers that I have no idea what to do with. I can't imagine having a stash. I know it would sit and I would just look at it still wondering what am I going to do with that!

ShirlinAZ 03-07-2013 07:19 AM

I don't have a big stash either, and it's mostly left overs from finished projects or fabric bought for specific future projects. I love having SOME stash so I can always have something to work on. In a month when car or home repairs take my spending money, I can still go to my stash and put something together. It keeps me sane.

Lori S 03-07-2013 07:35 AM

I am a stash quilter.. when the bug hits me to sew/quilt , I just want to get started, and not fuss about finding supplies. I know many quilters that are project quilters. They plan their projects, purchase supplies , sew/quilt and then repeat. Do what works for you and always feel like you can change as it suits you.

Grammie Sharon 03-07-2013 07:54 AM

I do not buy material just to have a stash. Most of my stash is what is leftover from a project. I would just love to buy something if I see it but have to watch my budget close. It is amazing how some people have sooo much fabric in their possession and will never use it. To me that is wasteful. I guess alot depends on the type of quilting you do too. My hubby is very supportive of my quilting and often suggests when we go somewher to pick up some fabric. I have a hard time doing this. I feel that when I do have a project and need something he know I don't go overboard. You have to do what you feel is best for you.