Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Organizing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organizing-fabric-t198420.html)

fktsewing 09-08-2012 03:25 AM

as for fat quarters---I have 2 over the door racks that are supposed to be for canned goods, but I just fold the fat quaters and organized them by color. They hand on the closet door and the door to the furnace room in my sewing room in the basement. That leaves more space for yardage on the shelves, is out of the way, and I can see it all at a glance.

M.I.Late 09-10-2012 02:49 PM

I have mine wrapped on Easy Cores and have taken over the pantry in the laundry room. The fat quarters are stored on the small ones and fit perfectly in the white metal racks (Lowes/Home Depot) that are sold for canned good etc. I screwed them (2) onto the back of the pantry door. Works great for me. Oh, and the overflow looked so good, they are in the bookcases flanking the Television in the living room. (They were there for a month before DH noticed it was fabric). If you need pictures - Holla! :) Gayle

barbarakibler23 09-13-2012 09:04 PM

this is a good way to organize fat quarters:
I use a old file cabinet and use the file folders...just fold the fat quarter over the top of the file...you can put 2 fat quarters per file (one on each side)...if you have leftover piece from the fabric you can place it in the folder. then they are organized by color. Looks really pretty too!

Gene7867 09-15-2012 08:16 AM

Hi Everyone! I am new on the Quilting Board and love it! I have to ask a dumb question. I am trying to reorganize my quilting room and have read several times that the fabric is folded using the ruler method. How is that done? Thank YOU!!

snicker dee 09-18-2012 12:14 AM

I store fat quarters in clear plastic containers that salads & other produce come in. Then stack them on shelves. I can see perfectly what I have. Once I got friends and relatives saving these for me, I had plenty in no time. For yardage I use the empty bolt-holders from the LQS .... again free. Target has a perfect size cubby system with drawers that I use for scraps. Each drawer is the color of the scraps contained

LoisM 09-20-2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5464813)
These are in 30 gal tubs no matter what size pieces they are:
Holiday- each holiday (xmas, 4th, halloweenie, easter, etc) have its own tub
Flannel
Vintage fabric (35in xWOF)- all goes in one tub
Authentic 30's feedsacks

All my Bolts (3+yards) are on the bookcase and in walk in closet.
All my 1-2 yards cuts are ruler folded, then separated by theme (floral, kids prints, asian, etc) and solids, blenders, and the rest are seperated by color on bookcases

Batiks are in a see thru sterilite three drawer separated by light med dark..
Fqs are separated by color, floral, novelty in it's own sections on wall cd racks, closet maid 24/36 bin shoe organizers.. Each area has its own 'theme' so i can find what I'm looking for.

My scraps are in specific see- thru bins, tubs and drawers depending on size..

Each Accuquilt Die cut shapes have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own- I do have most if not all the dies already.. lol..
strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
1.5 x wof has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 x WOF strips has a a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3x WOF strips have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
5x WOF strips have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Crumbs have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own- these are waiting to be cut with my Accuquilt
2 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own

4 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
4.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
And my selvages are kept in recycled plastic Ice cream tubs by length..

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.

My 1930's fqs section- (just one of my fq sections)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...eorganizer.jpg

Very impressive stash, Luv. Do you think you'll live long enough to use it all? LOL! I'd like to come shopping at your house.

sylviak 09-28-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by DebbE (Post 5497226)
I have an entire wall of white Ikea book cases ('Billy' I believe) that are inexpensive, with glass doors installed. I fold the fabrics to fit inside (about 11" deep) that are at least fat quarter sized. These are sorted by colors, baby/children, batiks, unusual, Australian, Christmas, metallics and a section for 'All Creatures Great & Small' which is critters that will go into a quilt eventually. Separate containers hold the pre cuts that I cut down the less than fat quarter sized fabrics. It works quite well for me.

Did the Ikea book cases come with the glass doors or did you add those yourself? I'm trying to come up with a better way to store my smaller (less that 1 yd, but larger than fat quarter) pieces of fabric. Those sound nice!

tutty 10-08-2012 07:29 AM

hang on pant hangers and mark !!! Great for me .

uniquedesigner 10-14-2012 11:59 AM

Cat littler helps.

Originally Posted by Jakaby (Post 5464912)
does anyone know the best way to store fabric in a really humid climate. We are moving to the wet side of Hawaii (big Island) and I have heard there is a lot of problem with things getting moldy ;o(