Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Question about Quilting Magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/question-about-quilting-magazines-t216610.html)

peacefulquilting 03-17-2013 09:15 AM

Question about Quilting Magazines

Hello all,

I have A LOT of old quilting magazines, some that I want to keep, others that I don't. Of the ones I'd want to keep, there might only be one project in the magazine that I'd want to make.

What I'd really like to do is cut the one project out of the magazine and donate the magazine to my quilt guild to be sold at our quilt show coming up in a few months. (They're usually sold for .25 or .50) When you buy old copies of magazines, are they complete, or have they been cut up like I'm talking about? I definitely don't want to upset anyone; but I also don't have time to scan all these projects before the show in May.

Any advice?
:confused:

alikat110 03-17-2013 09:44 AM

I would be upset if a magazine was not complete. Even if it only cost 50 cents. What you cut out may be what I want the magazine for. If I cut out what I want from one, I recycle the rest. Just my opinion.

ladydeluxe 03-17-2013 09:54 AM

What I do is scan the pages of the magazines for a given project and save as a file on my computer hard drive. When I'm ready to work on the project I just print the file. Magazines can then be donated and I haven't used up storage room.

mike'sgirl 03-17-2013 11:17 AM

I would give them away if they have had a pattern or two removed. I wouldn't care if I got one free that way, but if I paid for it, I would expect it to be complete. jmho

nygal 03-17-2013 11:28 AM

I also would expect to buy a magazine not cut up even if I only paid 25 cents for it.

I have been known to bring a few with me to a doctor appointment and then leave it there when I am called in. That way someone else can find it and enjoy it and I feel like my money was not wasted even tho I didn't want to keep that particular issue.

Nammie to 7 03-17-2013 01:04 PM

I keep my magazines, they are in order by name and year. I may not see anything I want to use right away but have gone back and found a cool quilt I hadn't noticed before.

darlenedowns 03-17-2013 03:59 PM

You cut you keep Look at it this way Would you buy a magazine that had been destroyed? I don't think so.
Keep in a file on your computer and copy if you like later

GirlLivingForJesus 03-17-2013 04:48 PM

I would at least put a little note on it saying what you cut out that way whoever wants it knows that a pattern or what not is missing. Most people buy those magazines for the pattern. You don't want your guild to get a dishonest name or anything.

laurlync 03-17-2013 06:29 PM

Some people cut up magazines, insert all the pages for individual patterns in clear notebook sleeves and sell them on ebay. You could do that (or just clip or staple the pages) and people could just buy the patterns they want.

twinkie 03-18-2013 03:59 AM

I agree with the comments about giving the magazines away if they are cut up. But, I do sympathize with your problem.