Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Ready to sort and organize Stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/ready-sort-organize-stash-t177846.html)

echoemb 02-03-2012 05:35 AM

Grammie BJ:
Here is maybe a solution to your folded/stacked fabric. Take a piece of foam core or something thin but stiff. slide one piece in on top of the fabric you want to pull out and put the other piece below the piece you want to pull out and separate and pull out the fabric piece you want then remove the "boards". The piece you want is out and the other fabric has not been disturbed. hopefully that will help.

Denise S 02-03-2012 07:31 AM

This sounds like an efficient use of space, along with protecting fabric from sun and dust. Please post pictures of this when it is done.

Originally Posted by canaryquilter (Post 4937293)
You might try this:I am going to organize my fabric with comic boards and store them in the closet of my sewing room. My husband has agreed to build me 2 bookshelf things with a backing board that will be piano hinged to the wall in front of the new 12" shelving in the back of the closet. So when I open the closet it will look like the closet is really shallow with shelves of fabric on boards. Then when you pull the handle of the front bookcase thing it will rotate forward so the back of the closet is accessable with more shelves with fabric. My sister in law had this in her fancy pantry. Still in the planning stages. Any suggestions gladly accepted. Canary quilter

johans 02-03-2012 07:44 AM

I also have 16" shelves and used to fold my fabric. Couldn't see all the fabric well, and messed up the pile getting fabrics out from under. I've now put them on boards with 1+ yards on regular size and 1/4-<1yd on mini. I put the minis in front of the regular, so I can see all at once. I don't go into my stash daily, so this works for me.

paulswalia 02-03-2012 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by echoemb (Post 4937802)
Grammie BJ:
Here is maybe a solution to your folded/stacked fabric. Take a piece of foam core or something thin but stiff. slide one piece in on top of the fabric you want to pull out and put the other piece below the piece you want to pull out and separate and pull out the fabric piece you want then remove the "boards". The piece you want is out and the other fabric has not been disturbed. hopefully that will help.

I've also heard this works when you put a magazine below and on top of the fabric you want to pull out. Leaves the others undisturbed.

tildiemae 02-04-2012 05:44 AM

I used the comic boards and they have worked out great!

Quiltlady330 02-04-2012 06:53 AM

I have a friend who uses the plastic canvas mesh that some people use for yarn crafts to wrap her fabric around.
She can purchase it in large sheets and then cuts it to the size she wants. Looks great and she says it's less
expensive than the boards. Personally, mine is folded and stacked by color on shelves.

Pieces2 02-04-2012 07:21 AM

I like folding my fabric, easiest to pull and use, least expensive. Can't see spending money on boards to wrap fabric,
and then spend the time to rewrap every time you pull a fabric out.

Quilterfay 02-04-2012 11:20 AM

Organize Stash

I had my fabric in deep shelves like that and found I didn't like it as I couldn't see the fabric in the back. I just had stacks of fabric one in front of the other. I now keep mine in book shelves and I can see all the colors I have.

If you figure out how to do the Piano hings shelf could you please share as I would love to see how that works.

Happy Quilting!

flybreit 02-05-2012 09:57 PM

I finally decided to use the foam boards for my fabric and have spent most of the weekend working on that project (there might be a teeny, tiny little chance that I have too much fabric!).

I bought the boards at Dollar Tree and cut to size (quick and easy with a rotary cutter and T square!). My shelves are also 20" deep and I could do 2 rows of mini bolts. Right now I'm thinking I'll use the space in front for fat quarter storage - as soon as I decide what to put them in, or for WIPs.

I also like the idea of storing batting packages behind the fabric. The fabric is easy to move on the boards so it won't be hard to move it out of the way to get to the batting.

I was concerned the bolts would take more space than the totes I had the fabric in previously, but they don't. I definitely need more light in my closet though.....the better to see all my pretty fabric :-)