Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Scrap Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/scrap-organization-t204466.html)

quiltingdragon 10-28-2012 08:57 AM

Scrap Organization

How do all of you quilters organize your scraps? I've started cutting my scraps into Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User's system, which is working great for the larger scraps.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...rs-system.html

I am unsure how to organize the odd bits. By color, by size, or some other method? What is the smallest scrap you save?

Prim Quilts 10-28-2012 11:35 AM

The smallest scrap I save is 1 1/2 inch squares. I am planning on doing a postage stamp quilt. I also make doll quilts though so I dip into that basket a lot. I have 1 1/2 inch squares, 2 inch squares, 4 inch squares 4 1/2 inch squares and 5 inch squares. I don't really have strips, as I don't usually have the width of fabric (wof) for those.

paulswalia 10-28-2012 12:16 PM

Let's say I'm working on 2.5 squares. I put each color in a zip lock bag by themselves, then all 2.5 zip lock bags in a bin . Same thing with other sizes - I cut 1.5, 2.5 and 5.0 by WOF strips. Each color in a bag, all the bags of the same size in a bin together. Fat quarters and sorted into bins by color. I love the bonnie hunter system.

asimplelife 10-28-2012 04:01 PM

I cut 6", 5", 4", 2.5" and 2" squares. 2.5" and 2" strips. Wonky sized strings go in a bin for string quilts. I love having things pre-cut and ready to be used.

Vanuatu Jill 10-28-2012 04:40 PM

I use to save everything by color in clear plastic totes because an did lots of appliqué, plus where I lived, I had NO access to fabric shops. This year, I have made about 100 purses/totes, none are the same, so I have TONS AND TONS of scraps!! So far, they aren't organized yet, but I will probably do it by color again. I just never pre cut them into anything, because I never know how I will use them, or If I will use them. I sold a large batch here on the board earlier in the year, and in all probability, do I again. I just don't see how I will get a chance to use them with the other projects an have lined up. I feel I am literally drowning in scraps at the moment!

NanaCsews2 10-28-2012 04:50 PM

I don't think I am at the point of storing scraps yet. When I cut fabric, I put the smaller pieces into an oval metal tub that is about 10" high and 20" long. About a month ago I took them all out and ironed them and neatly put them in piles in that tub. These are about 6" and up to less than a FQ. Bigger pieces get folded into the fabric yardage and placed back in the cabinets. Strings, tiny pieces, selvages, and scraps from each quilt are scrunched into a ball, put in a paper bag, and then handed over to my sister. I do landscape quilts and applique, but I prefer taking from the larger pieces. My sister does scrapbooking, rag quilts and scrap quilts. I will let her have all the glory of going through those tiny bits of fabric scraps.

pinecone 10-28-2012 08:08 PM

I don't cut them into anything as I do make small items too like wallets.

piney

lclang 10-29-2012 04:36 AM

I try to use as many of my scraps as I can as soon as I finish my main project. For instance...I made a quilt top, then used the scraps to make a purse, two Kindle covers, and two mug rugs. Very few scraps left to worry about. Also keeps my gift drawer supplied with handy dandy gifts to use at a moments notice.

homebody323 10-29-2012 04:41 AM

I just started using the scraps I cut using Bonnie's ideas and found that I have a problem when I get to sashing, borders, binding. All my pieces that coordinate are cut up too small. I'm going to think about that and make some changes.

Pieces2 10-29-2012 04:48 AM

I have a box I save all my scraps, strips, etc. in. I separate the childrens fabrics from the rest of the scraps.
When I start a new scrap quilt, I look here first to see what I can use. I don't keep anything under 2 inch squares.
I keep them in stacks so the fabric is neat and not all wrinkled. I never cut my scraps into pieces because you never know what you will need. But if I have leftover pieces the same size, 2 X 2 ex., I store them together in a ziplock bag.