Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Sewing machine set into or on top of table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/sewing-machine-set-into-top-table-t215933.html)

Pieces2 03-10-2013 02:57 AM

My machine is set in my table and works great. It makes sewing easier, a better level. Buy yourself a chair with wheels.

cbjlinda 03-10-2013 04:12 AM

I have a small table right now and used to have the six foot one. I miss it! I do however have a rolly chair. they are very reasonible when you find them at office supply stores on sale or at wallmart. I would go crazzy without it " I used to have a dinning room chair and hated it because I couldn't move from side to side. I am in the process of cleaning my sewing room and having my hubby put together a new cutting table for me. if I knew how to add pictures I would show you where I got my inspiration. ohhhhhh just remembered that I posted a picture of it on my blog so if you to the blog addy at the bottom of my post you can see the one that inspired me. Hers is my ideal but I don;t have a large enough sewing room for that one so am downsizing it to fit my room. can't wait untill its done.

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant (Post 5917235)
Hello, all. We're moving in about six months and, theoretically, I'll have a quilting room. Right now my machine is set up on a 6' folding table and it's fine. I don't have a wheelie chair so I mostly stay where I am, pushing my machine back to pin pieces together and then pulling it toward me again to sew. We were going to sell our office desk until I realized it would be perfect for the sewing machine - it's a lovely, big solid wood desk. The desk has a pull out keyboard drawer that's set at the perfect height that I can cut a hole in the desk and set the sewing machine in the keyboard tray, modifying it to make the drawer secure of course.

And here's the question. I move my machine around a lot, but I think that's because my chair doesn't have wheels and it's not easy to slide down the table a couple feet to do pinning. Would you prefer your machine inset or on top of your sewing table, and why? I can definitely see how it would help with FMQ. Thoughts?
thanks!

Rose Marie 03-10-2013 05:48 AM

If you do your own quilting having the machine flush with the table is a must.
I had one of those extension acylic tables and the quilt kept catching on the edge.
For piecing it dosnt matter so much.

ShirlinAZ 03-10-2013 07:16 AM

I did exactly what you are doing, and I cut the hole open at the front of the desk so the machine sits completely forward and I can pull it out on the keyboard tray to use the free-arm occasionally. Be sure to leave enough room for the machine's cords so you don't crimp them. I didn't leave quite enough space between the keyboard support and the machine and was crimping my cord badly - had to get a different cord that fit in the space.

sulyle 03-10-2013 07:52 AM

Inset definitely. It makes it so much easier to free motion quilt. One end of my table has room for a small mat for trimming up and I made a pressing station from a TV tray that sits next to me so there's not a lot of need to move. Still check the sales for an office chair with wheels that you can adjust. You'll notice a big change in your comfort level and stamina. Congratulations on your new quilting room.

feffertim 03-10-2013 08:22 AM

I have both my machines set into the tables, much easier on my neck and shoulders, and I like having even room around the machine. Definitely set in get my vote

Onetomatoplant 03-10-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by cbjlinda (Post 5918119)
I have a small table right now and used to have the six foot one. I miss it! I do however have a rolly chair. they are very reasonible when you find them at office supply stores on sale or at wallmart. I would go crazzy without it " I used to have a dinning room chair and hated it because I couldn't move from side to side. I am in the process of cleaning my sewing room and having my hubby put together a new cutting table for me. if I knew how to add pictures I would show you where I got my inspiration. ohhhhhh just remembered that I posted a picture of it on my blog so if you to the blog addy at the bottom of my post you can see the one that inspired me. Hers is my ideal but I don;t have a large enough sewing room for that one so am downsizing it to fit my room. can't wait untill its done.

Went to your blog - love your cutting table! That's another "after we move" project. My husband refurbishes saxaphones, so I'm hoping for a space that can house both of us....you know, so we can see each other sometimes. :)

kamaiarigby 03-10-2013 10:40 AM

I have my Janome 6500 set into a table, if I need to use my little pfaff I put some quilting magazines into the cut out area to build up the level, and bring the Pfaff level, as long as the left side of the machine is level with the table top, I don't worry about the gap on the right hand
side

cricket_iscute 03-10-2013 12:20 PM

I like them set into the table, definitely. I do a lot of quilting and I need the surface that supports the quilt to be the same height as the bed of the machine. I have a table that allows me to switch machines.

The only time I'd set a machine on a table is in a class, sewing at a friend's house, or if I was only piecing, and then for a short time due to ergonomic concerns.

Dolphyngyrl 03-10-2013 04:39 PM

I like both depending on what i'm doing