Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Sewing room carpet floor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/sewing-room-carpet-floor-t206066.html)

Momellis 11-15-2012 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. I do get up to do pressing at my ironing board or to cut something large. Its just a pain to "fall" off the plastic mat to just roll to the small ironing area or roll to the other side to cut a small section. I would love to take the carpet up too but will probably sell someday and keeping it the same as the other 4 bedrooms. I was just wondering if anyone had found something better to put over the carpet except the desk mats. Thanks again.

DogHouseMom 11-15-2012 07:48 PM

I'm like the others ... I like to get up often.

BUT you are asking for a different solution :)

One thing you can try is to replace the chair, or the wheels on the chair that you have. Wheels that are more conducive to rolling on carpet. This would be a larger size solid rubber wheel - something similar to what would be used on a rolling cart.

I also noticed that the mats you are using are the shaped mats (with cut out in foot area). You can try using multiple square or rectangle mats and butt them up against each other. I think you'll still have a problem though as most mats that I know of have a lip on the edge and you might get stuck in the lip.

ksdot417 11-16-2012 05:16 AM

A friend of mine used a piece of plywood with carpet squares on the top. She could roll around on it without any effort and didn't damage the carpet with the rollers.

nancyw 11-16-2012 05:28 AM

When I took over an upstairs bedroom their was of course carpeting. The first thing my DH did was get some guys to put in a laminate wood flooring.

Nona 11-16-2012 07:55 AM

are the casters on your chair the ones for carpet? If not buy some new casters and most your problem will go away. Other option is to buy a matching floor mat to one of the ones you already have butt them together and that should work. Check the cheapest option.

Nina Baker 11-16-2012 09:37 AM

try a chair with carpet rollers

FWDesigns 11-16-2012 09:40 AM

I have tried the plastic mats several times and they just end up cracking so I had hubby buy a 3/4" piece of plywood - he cut it down in size to where it will slide under my sewing desk and I can move all around in about 2 feet in every direction with my rolling chair. I sanded it really smooth and just laid it on top of my carpet. Works great for me and wasn't too expensive.

Dawnmarieodya 11-16-2012 10:49 AM

How about going to a flooring place and buying a remnet of vinal flooring.You can tape the ends with silver tape to keep the edges down. Hope this helps.

damaquilts 11-16-2012 04:49 PM

I tried everything here with the carpet. I tried putting vinyl over it, I tried putting a short loop rug over it. I cannot pull it up so now I just live with it. I try to be careful with pins and such. If it were my house the whole thing would be wood floors.

Pilgrim 11-16-2012 07:38 PM

If you still want carpet for warmth, use a berber. I have it in my sewing room and I roll around on it with no problem.