Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Sewing Space Re-Org (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/sewing-space-re-org-t188170.html)

Suze9395 05-05-2012 07:30 PM

Sewing Space Re-Org

I have been using a corner our large master bedroom as my sewing space for awhile now. It was awful. Cramped, disorganized couldn't get to anything and things didn't get put away--what a mess. :mad:

My DH offered me more than half of our 13'x26' bedroom :D we have been discussing doing the reorg for a few months. Two weeks ago I measured all the furniture and mapped out a new layout. The new layout included buying new 10' poles for my quilting frame(up from about 7') and bringing in a second 3'x6' desk. :thumbup::thumbup:

Well, I have been working on the project for two weekends. Gosh, who knew it takes so much time! And, it still isn't done!

Last weekend, we rearranged all the furniture and bought the new frame poles and I did some initial organizing. :thumbup:

This weekend, I have been working on putting my stash on comic book boards. And, this afternoon we bought some cabinets, the unfinished ready made kitchen type cabinets from Home Depot and got them hung up. (Happy Mother's Day!!)

It is still a mess and a work in progress, and I failed to take before pictures, but I will take some pictures of the current status tomorrow and get them posted. I could use a little encouragement.:o

Tonight, all I can do is go to bed.
Where is the sewing room fairy? I wish she would come and waive her magic wand over my space. :)

Good night, happy Cinco de Mayo!
Suze

Sandygirl 05-06-2012 02:32 AM

Pictures please! Sewing spaces are always a work in progress. You'll rearrange again and again as you learn to live in the space.
Sandy

emsunfire 05-06-2012 03:38 AM

can't wait to see pictures Congratulations on your new space!

joejoe31 05-06-2012 04:00 AM

Keep it up and it will be done in no time .good luck i know how you feel .all my stuff is in bags in the corner of my living room .i work from my kitchen table which i have to pick up everytime i have a project due to the lil ones.Then I do have a room upstairs but due to back problems and my husband sooo sick i remain downstairs.I will get up there so I have my own orginaized room .But till then hope you get yours done.~waves a wand of encouragement~ (POOF) Your doing great keep up the work.

Glenda m 05-06-2012 05:41 AM

Hope you get your space finished soon, so you can relax and sew. But as Sandygirl said, its a never ending process. LOL Looking forward to photos.

Tartan 05-06-2012 05:59 AM

Sounds like it will be a much happier place for you to work in. Yes, it's a lot of work to get it there but you will enjoy your space more when it is done. Remember "you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs." It's a mess right now but it will be BEAUTIFUL!:thumbup:

RedGarnet222 05-06-2012 08:03 AM

Hi Suze!
It sure is a big deal to re-organize a sewing space and don't you feel good that you are on the way to having the space you have wanted for some time. Good for you! Keep up the good work and don't cut it short because you get to feeling pressured just to have it done. Yes it takes some time and thought, but, it is well worth it!

My room change re-organization took a month and a half doing the actual work part. That was pretty much working on it daily. I love knowing where every item is in the room and finding it in a pleasing order when I go to find it. You will find that sometimes it can feel like a drudge, but, go for the gold! You can do it!

Here is one more little hint for you. When I don't have time to put things away between projects, find a spot to put things that need to be put back away. It saves lots of time and energy to have them all in the same spot. I clean/straighten mine on friday's so it is a fresh start at the beginning of the week.

MaryMo 05-06-2012 08:07 AM

It seems discoraging now but just wait ... one of these days you will look back and be very glad you did it. Your sewing time will be so much happier. I envy you.

Suze9395 05-06-2012 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning, Everyone!
Thank you so much for all the kind and encouraging words!! What a great boost this morning!

My DH got up this morning and said, "let's do it" and we worked together for a few hours to get things settled to the extent that it isn't visually disturbing and I can get in to work on getting things organized and officially put away.

Here are the promised pictures!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333277[/ATTACH]

Suze9395 05-06-2012 11:03 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Third times the charm, right? I will try this again and try and beat the time limit. :mad::o

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333313[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333304[/ATTACH]

Front left side with close of up cabinets we installed last night. :thumbup: Like the cabinets. The art work is from my DS.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333305[/ATTACH]

Back left side. We are planning on putting additional cabinets here. We will have to work in stages though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333308[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]333306[/ATTACH]

Front right side. This is the mess I will concentrate on cleaning up first. I have already removed 2 large tubs of fabric (what has been put in the cabinet).

I have to take a second and say thank you Lord for my wonderful DH. I still wouldn't be able to walk through that area if he hadn't gotten up this morning and said "Let's do it!"

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!
Suze