Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing/Organizing long lengths of fabric - How to?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-organizing-long-lengths-fabric-how-t193209.html)

bearisgray 06-30-2012 09:19 AM

Storing/Organizing long lengths of fabric - How to??

I've seen lots of clever ideas for storing FQs and scraps.

How do you store your long lengths of fabric? Ruler folding them seems sort of futile. I don't have the cardboards that the fabrics originally came on.

Right now, most of mine are fan folded and laying on top of a bed - which makes using the bed for sleeping on problematic.

AUQuilter 06-30-2012 10:00 AM

I still ruler fold all my yardage, even the long lengths for backing and such. I just don't fold it in half so it is WOF long. I stack them.

Scissor Queen 06-30-2012 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hate stacks of fabric, I don't care how it's folded. I have a lot of mine on coroplast boards in a bookcase. I am now cutting foamcore boards from Dollar General for the rest of it. The DG boards are lightweight, acid free and cut really nice with a rotary cutter. I have as much as 10 yards wound on one board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345657[/ATTACH]

AuntieD 06-30-2012 01:49 PM

I've been debating how to store my fabric. The foam boards from DG seem like the best idea. Now I just have to find a local store.

bearisgray 06-30-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5328697)
I hate stacks of fabric, I don't care how it's folded. I have a lot of mine on coroplast boards in a bookcase. I am now cutting foamcore boards from Dollar General for the rest of it. The DG boards are lightweight, acid free and cut really nice with a rotary cutter. I have as much as 10 yards wound on one board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345657[/ATTACH]

Looks nice - some nice fabrics showing, there, too.

Latrinka 07-01-2012 04:24 AM

I ruler fold mine, don't have bookcases to stand em up in, so stacking is better for open shelving.

marla 07-01-2012 01:15 PM

Using hangers

1 Attachment(s)
This is my method to store longer fabric lengths. I also use the 3-4 teir suade hangers as I can put together all fabrics for a quilt I plan to do. I will iron the group when I am ready to start the quilt

bobquilt3 07-01-2012 02:22 PM

I fold all fabric over 1 yard this way: fold lengthwise, selvedges together. Smooth it and fold again with fold to selvedges. Take the long piece and fold it back and forth, accordion style, in 18" lengths. This gives you a stack that is about 11" x18". You know at a glance exactly how much fabric you have. Count the folds at one end and each one is 1yard. If you need to the whole stack an be folded in half and stored on shelves.
I have awhile folding system I read about years ago. Will try to post it with pix.

jamsbuying 07-02-2012 07:26 AM

I, also, hang long lengths of fabric.

kyquiltlover1942 07-02-2012 09:28 AM

I broke down and bought skirt hangers and also beg whatever the stores will give me. I buy the ones that hold 4 or 5 on one hanger. Anything over a yard will fold and hang in a spare closet next to my sewing room. Keeps them pretty much wrinkle free. Since some of them are at least 30 years old, it was a pretty good investment.