Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing the Scraps...Ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-scraps-ideas-t215277.html)

DebbE 03-02-2013 08:50 PM

I do the same as QuiltingDragon, except I don't cut 4" or 4.5", but the rest of the sizes I do. I also have a 10" square pile, which really comes in handy, too. I stack them in those sizes on shelves that have glass doors, so I can see what I have. When it comes time to make a quilt, I pull out the appropriate sizes and start sewing. It's lovely not having to stop to cut out pieces before working on a quilt! I set aside the scraps that I have from larger pieces that I've used, and when I wake early some mornings (usually its 1 or 2 a.m.), that's the time to cut those down, as its a quiet activity. Before I had enough for the shelves, I used the clear shoe box bins to store the various sizes (5" and down). Didn't take long and I was looking for open shelving to stack the various sizes. Seems like they multiply like bunnies sometimes...I've made large quilts and it didn't look like I'd taken any fabric out of there!

kateyb 03-03-2013 05:06 AM

I used to have my scraps sorted by color in the large popcorn tins, which worked fairly well until I dislocated my ribs then moving them around became a problem. I have switched to the plastic drawers made by sterlite. They come as a set of three, each drawer is approx. 13" x 10" x 7". If you don't put on the wheels they stack very nicely. I have the scraps sorted by color, a cardboard cut to fit seperates more than one color in a drawer. Anything smaller than a FQ/quarter yard goes in them. I also have two smaller bins that are 11" x 9" x 7" with locking lids with a handle for the scrap strips that are odd shaped ( the ones that are narrower on one end than the other) one lights, one darks for strippy scrap quilts. I'm thinking of getting 2 more for the smaller odd shaped pieces for "crumb" quilts. They are easy to carry and not very heavy (saves my ribs from pain) and store in a small area in a closet or under a table.

lclang 03-03-2013 05:28 AM

Just sort into light, medium, and dark and store them in large plastic trays or huge shopping bags. Don't cut them into sizes until I decide what size I need.

J Carol 03-03-2013 07:52 AM

The way I do my scraps is I cut the biggest square possible and keep cutting until there isn't enough for a square then the nibblets go into a tub to make dog beds for the humane society. The squares I put into drawers in their individual sizes. I do this after each project and it doesn't get so overwhelming. When friends give me scraps they don't want I do the same. Hope this helps tame your scraps until you get enough to make a scrap quilt.

J Carol 03-03-2013 07:57 AM

The way I do my scraps is I cut the biggest square possible and keep cutting until there isn't enough for a square then the nibblets go into a tub to make dog beds for the humane society. The squares I put into drawers in their individual sizes. I do this after each project and it doesn't get so overwhelming. When friends give me scraps they don't want I do the same. Hope this helps tame your scraps until you get enough to make a scrap quilt.

themachinelady 03-03-2013 08:28 AM

That's the say I do mine also 3 Carol. Then if there are strips available to be cut, I cut them in the largest width I think I will want on down to the narrowest I will use. I do not have a good storage system for the strips, but have plastic storage boxes for the various sizes of the squares I have cut. I start with the largest I can get up to 10 inches, the 7, 6 1/2, 5 1/2, 5, 4 1/2, 4, and on down to an inch and a half. I don't cut anything less than an inch and a half as I figure when it is used, it will only be an inch square. Now to get to using them is the next problem.

Scissor Queen 03-03-2013 08:48 AM

I don't cut mine. I do machine applique and if it's all cut I might not be able to get a bird body or funky tree branch from that perfect cut square or rectangle. Plus I actually like digging thru them. I have mine in small bins so they're not so heavy.

krisgray 03-03-2013 08:59 AM

I use Bonnie Hunter's method of cutting and lots of plastic shoeboxes that can be found at WalMart or such stores for about $1 each. Since they're clear, I place an index card in the front as a label with the size so I know exactly what's in each box. I like these boxes - they stack nicely - they're clear -they're cheap.

jetayre 03-03-2013 09:29 AM

I put mine in plastic like others, and do them by subject flowers, animals, etc and then plain by colors an fabric that is flannel, cotton etc. Don't have to go through so much. Other ideas are good, too.

QuiltFaerie 03-03-2013 09:59 AM

I also love the cake takers from WalMart that Bonnie Hunter turned me on to. They are great for holding all the pieces of a project in progress together. They are about $6 each. If WalMart ever finds out what all us quilters are doing with the cake takers, they will jack the price up.