Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing sewing machine needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-sewing-machine-needles-t210849.html)

Baloonatic 05-04-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary (Post 5786696)
I have each type of needle in a different section (universal, top stitch etc.). Also, when I put a needle into my machine, I use one of those tiny pony tail holders around the container to remind me what type of needle is in the machine. Since I have two machines, I use two different colors of pony tail bands...Pink for my Pfaff...and Blue for my Brother! It has saved me a lot of confusion trying to remember what needle is in what machine.

OH what a great idea!!

bearisgray 05-04-2013 04:42 PM

I bought one of those plastic needle organizers - and for some reason I thought it would have a 'sizer' on it for needle sizes like the knitting needle guages have - and I thought it would have a magnifier so I could read whatever was written on the side of the needle.

I already had a lot of needles that I had stuck in a piece of cloth and I thought it would help me decide what they were.

As it is - I can tell the ones with burrs on them - they get discarded - and the really thick ones from the finer ones.

quiltinghere 05-04-2013 04:50 PM

My hand and machine needles stay in their packages until I need one.

I have several pretty glass square containers fresh flowers came in. The hand needles are in one container and machine needles are in another.

I really like to store things on the shelves in glass containers because they're pretty to look at and I can see what's in them!

Nan - IN

fktsewing 05-04-2013 06:28 PM

I have those units with all the little drawers that they sell in the hardware dept. Each drawer holds a different size needle and I also have each of my attachment feet for my sewing machine in a drawer of its own. I used my label maker to mark what is in each drawer. To keep the feet for my 3 machines separated, I use a letter system for the brand---FW for featherweight, K for Kenmore, V for Viking and MQ for my Mega Quilter. I also do the same thing with the needles.

quiltjoey 05-04-2013 07:16 PM

I use the little plastic bins with compartments. The needles fit right in them. Also have a bin for pre-filled bobbins, empty bobbins for different machines, etc. The bins don't take up a lot of space on my sewing table either.

Nammie to 7 05-05-2013 06:24 PM

I use a set of little plastic drawers (used to hold screws and nails) I keep each size of needles in a separate drawer, the other drawers are used for the little tools one must have but can never find when you need them!

bobbiesboutique 05-05-2013 06:44 PM

I like the soft side of the vecro for holding the needles and I made a little book and labeled each page beside with the velcro. The velcro with the adhesive backing works great since I made the book with cardboard and used spray adhesive to cover it with my favorite notions fabric. I just wish the numbers on the needles were easier to see because the organizing culd go much faster. I even used a hole punch on the open side of the book to put ribbon so I can tie it shut when Im not using it.

Sheri.a 05-05-2013 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 5787259)
This was made for me on the Secret Pal swap by sewdamncute. There are actually 4 'pages'. Since this was taken, I've labelled all the compartments.
I love the fact that I can organise part-used needle and also know exactly what needle I've got in my machine by putting a coloured a pin in the correct section!

Knitette, I love it. I just put your needle holder on my bucket list!

NewbieToQuilting 05-31-2013 11:09 AM

Fishing lure box. They fit perfectly. I also organize my extra sewing feet in them!

adamae 05-31-2013 12:45 PM

I always have extra sewing machine needles in my rolling tote for my sewing machine in case I need to change when I go to quilt group, a package in the machine tool compartment. I recently found several packages in the bottom of a machine case when I was dusting it. I have a carousel from the farm store for my sewing notions, it has two tiers and they are on a lazy susan..