Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Tips to make old desk into quilting table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/tips-make-old-desk-into-quilting-table-t188369.html)

AshleyR 05-08-2012 07:43 AM

Tips to make old desk into quilting table

1 Attachment(s)
I have a lovely older wooden desk. The only problem that I have with it is that the top is too tall. Especially when I have a sewing machine on it. That adds what? 4inches? I've been reading how people have built up around the machine to make a flush surface, but I really need to bring it down 3-4 inches instead.

So I was thinking about cutting the front of the desk. A regular rectangle just a few inches larger than my machine all the way around. Then suspending this cut out with the metal hanging tape that they use to hold your pipes and A/C units.

That's all I can think of. I don't have a quilting extension table or anything like that. Just big desk and a sewing machine! Oh, the desk does have a drawer right there, and when I pull it out to experiment, I can set the machine right on the drawer and it's a good height. But I don't think it would support the weight of the machine and quilting for long.

So any and all suggestions are welcome.. no matter how far-fetched or obvious to you (cause it's not to me!)

tmw 05-08-2012 07:57 AM

are you talking about the cabinet the machine is on now.? if so, can you cut the legs shorter? the tape you are talking about i s not as strong as it looks. or raise your chair.

AshleyR 05-08-2012 08:06 AM

No, the one in the middle. The big one just under the lamps. It's a terrible picture, I know. I tried to add another picture, but it's too big.
I do raise my chair up as high as I comfortably can. I do have some nerve damage in my left leg so I can't sit with my knees much lower than my hips.

newbee3 05-08-2012 08:13 AM

you could reinforce the drawer to make it strong enough then you could cut a or have cut a piece of plexiglass to fit around your machine

elizajo 05-08-2012 08:22 AM

If you're talking about modifying the L shaped desk sitting to the left of your sewing machine, it looks like it has a single drawer. Many years ago, I cut a hole in my husband's sturdy1960's era desk for my Kenmore. I placed the piece that I cut out down in the drawer and set my machine on top. It brought the machine bed flush with the surface. I don't remember if it needed a scrim or two. That machine had a drop-in bobbin, so I didn't have to remove the machine from the desk very often except for cleaning. Now I sew with a vintage Bernina 830 with vertical bobbin access below the bed of the machine. If I didn't want the inconvenience of pulling the machine out of the recess each time I needed to change the bobbin, I would have to remove the drawer completely. Then you would have the complexity, relative to the construction of the desk, of bracing a shelf below the desk surface.

Momma_K 05-08-2012 08:36 AM

I'd hate to make adjustments to the deck! It's so nice looking!

AshleyR 05-08-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by elizajo (Post 5202179)
If you're talking about modifying the L shaped desk sitting to the left of your sewing machine, it looks like it has a single drawer. Many years ago, I cut a hole in my husband's sturdy1960's era desk for my Kenmore. I placed the piece that I cut out down in the drawer and set my machine on top. It brought the machine bed flush with the surface. I don't remember if it needed a scrim or two. That machine had a drop-in bobbin, so I didn't have to remove the machine from the desk very often except for cleaning. Now I sew with a vintage Bernina 830 with vertical bobbin access below the bed of the machine. If I didn't want the inconvenience of pulling the machine out of the recess each time I needed to change the bobbin, I would have to remove the drawer completely. Then you would have the complexity, relative to the construction of the desk, of bracing a shelf below the desk surface.

Yes, there is the long, drawer that pulls out into your lap. I'll miss it when I modify, because it holds all kinds of goodies! My bobbin is in the front of the machine, which just adds to the fun of trying to modify the desk! Thats why I figured I'd just cut out from the edge of the desk instead of cutting a machine shaped hole in the desk top.

I may just start using the lower part of the "L". I don't want to because I love having that there to hold the bulk of the quilt, but my shoulders are telling me to do it anyway! AT least if I do that, I am just going to have to tape some phone books together so I have an even surface!! Actually, I may just do that. The desk is incredibly heavy and I don't want to move it, but oh well! Quilting and comfort come first!

AshleyR 05-08-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K (Post 5202194)
I'd hate to make adjustments to the deck! It's so nice looking!

It's a good, sturdy piece of furniture! I got it just so I could quilt on it, so I knew some modifications were going to have to be made! I just don't know the best way to make them! And it's all scratched up and covered in shelf paper, it's not as "nice" as it looks! :)

Tartan 05-08-2012 08:54 AM

Can you clean out the drawer and place your machine in it? This would lower it a bit. You could remove the feet if they are removeable or cut the legs down if not. You could also have someone build you a platform that does under the desk and about 4 feet out into the room for your chair. Make it big enough that you don't roll your chair off the edge though.:) Good luck.

AshleyR 05-08-2012 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5202229)
Can you clean out the drawer and place your machine in it? This would lower it a bit. You could remove the feet if they are removeable or cut the legs down if not. You could also have someone build you a platform that does under the desk and about 4 feet out into the room for your chair. Make it big enough that you don't roll your chair off the edge though.:) Good luck.

Cleaning out the drawer would work, but I'm not sure it's a good long-term plan. I think the weight would eventually bend the tracks it's on.
The desk doesn't have "legs", they are like walls. I've thought about cutting them down and then I remembered the terrible job I did when I cut the bottom of a door. It was terrible! Platform is a good idea but too much trouble. I have a hard enough time keeping my chair on the rug and it not rolling the rug up in the wheels! I'd hurt myself bad!!