Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Walmart vs Dollar General foamcore boards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/walmart-vs-dollar-general-foamcore-boards-t193190.html)

jaciqltznok 07-01-2012 06:36 AM

just make sure to always check the maker to be sure you are buying acid free...most $ stores use a "drop ship" ordering and the foam boards can come from different companies....
acid free is a must to protect your fabric....I figured I would need over 1,000 boards, and would LOSE space, so gave up the idea of doing this...will try the ruler folding instead!

auntpiggylpn 07-01-2012 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5330527)
just make sure to always check the maker to be sure you are buying acid free...most $ stores use a "drop ship" ordering and the foam boards can come from different companies....
acid free is a must to protect your fabric....I figured I would need over 1,000 boards, and would LOSE space, so gave up the idea of doing this...will try the ruler folding instead!

It IS acid-free http://www.adamsplasticsinc.com/index.php/readi-board

auntpiggylpn 07-01-2012 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5330497)
The Dollar Tree has foam core boards for $1 apiece. I cut mine into 5" X 12" pieces and I was able to get 9 or 10 of them out of one sheet of foam core. That makes it about 10 cents apiece. I had to buy 40 boards to have enough to do almost all of my fabrics (now that tells you I have to much fabric!!) so for $40 I got 400 fabric boards. Not a bad price! Uline would have cost me $200.

The foam core board I got at the Dollar Tree is manufactured by R L Adams Plastics in Wyoming, Michigan and it is ACID FREE.

Scissor Queen 07-01-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by simpsonfs (Post 5330414)
How much does this make your boards cost each? Uline has them already cut but I think they average around $.50 each. Is this cheaper?

The boards I cut cost me .20 cents each. The best part is I don't have to wait for someone to ship them to me, I don't have to pay shipping costs and DG is right in my neighborhood on the way to or from practically anything else.

Scissor Queen 07-01-2012 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5330546)
The foam core board I got at the Dollar Tree is manufactured by R L Adams Plastics in Wyoming, Michigan and it is ACID FREE.

My Dollar Tree didn't have any foam core boards. They only had poster boards. The foam core boards I got at Dollar General are manufactured by the same company though and they're acid free and cut with one pass of the rotary cutter. They really do cut beautifully.

CecInNebraska 07-01-2012 10:21 AM

OK, I have been "on the outside looking in" at this board for a long time. Yes, I am addicted to it! I have learned a lot and cont. to learn lots. This is my first post. I can not find these foam core boards at my Dollar General. I looked on their website also and could not find them.

bluteddi 07-01-2012 10:29 AM

not sure about the DG but some places call it " science board" ( I assume, due to schools used to have the kids display/explain their science project on this board)
Not all stores carry the same items.. keep searching other stores as you travel thru other towns.

alfosa421 07-01-2012 10:43 AM

I also get their 3 ring binders and clear pockets and keep my patterns organiized in the binder. Prices are right and the stuff is sturdy

auntpiggylpn 07-01-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by CecInNebraska (Post 5331039)
OK, I have been "on the outside looking in" at this board for a long time. Yes, I am addicted to it! I have learned a lot and cont. to learn lots. This is my first post. I can not find these foam core boards at my Dollar General. I looked on their website also and could not find them.

I got mine at Dollar Tree. I didn't find them with the poster board. They were in a box down by an end cap in the same aisle. When I didn't see them with the poster board, I figured they didn't have them. I started to wander the store and that's how I found them. Ask an employee if they have it.

Donnasue 07-01-2012 01:23 PM

I guess I am off to the Dollar Tree!!