Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What is Comic Board Panels? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-comic-board-panels-t198432.html)

NIICHMOM 08-23-2012 06:57 AM

What is Comic Board Panels?

I have been reading about putting fabric on comic boards, I have asked in fabric shops what is it, and they don't know...
and I don't know... help me. I am fairly new to quilting and I have now a good assortment of stash and I want to keep it from getting permanent creases from Folding and piling it on top of others Thanks in advance for looking at this and helping me. THANX

karenpatrick 08-23-2012 07:00 AM

They are the cardboard pieces that comic collectors use in their plastic bags when they store comic books. They make great boards to wrap fabric on for storage. I use them and like them. They are very inexpensive. Do a search here and you will find lots of posts here about them.

Tartan 08-23-2012 07:22 AM

​Some people use them to wrap their fabric on because they are acid free. Others cut the foam core board and make boards? I think Alaskasunshine's has a good tutorial on QB showing how she does it.

quiltstringz 08-23-2012 07:26 AM

I am just organizing my stash this way and am very happy. We also punched a hole in our boards near a top corner and are using Merchandise tags from Staples, putting the string through the hole and then writing the yardage on the tag. That way we can see how much is on the board and if we use some can mark it out and remark with the new yardage.

crowley7 08-23-2012 07:59 AM

I just purchased some at Newbury Comics store. They also sell them on Amazon. Com. In the store they cost 10.00 for 100 boards.

NIICHMOM 08-23-2012 12:26 PM

Thanks to all of you. You are great!

quiltstringz 08-23-2012 12:52 PM

Also wanted to mention in case you don't have bookcases or shelves to put your fabric on. We got some Kilby bookcases at IKEA and they work great. They aren't as deep (9-1/2") which worked out well and they were only $25 each.

Monika 08-24-2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 5461741)
I am just organizing my stash this way and am very happy. We also punched a hole in our boards near a top corner and are using Merchandise tags from Staples, putting the string through the hole and then writing the yardage on the tag. That way we can see how much is on the board and if we use some can mark it out and remark with the new yardage.

Love that idea! I would love to see a picture!!!

puzzler 08-24-2012 05:44 PM

They are pieces of cardboard used inside a plastic bags to protect a comic book (illustrated book). They are white on both sides and acid-free. You can purchase them from sources such as Amazon in packages of 100. You fold the fabric in half lengthwise (to about 11 inches and roll up on the board. clip or pin in place. If you measure the fabric before you wrap it, you can pin a piece of paper on the outside. You store the fabric on the narrow end in bookshelves. IOne great advantage is that you can unwrap just the amount you need and cut it for a pattern. Then, record on the paper how much you have removed. Looks great on a shelf.

SallySaidSew 08-25-2012 05:47 AM

I was curious what comic book boards were, too. Now I know! Thanks.