Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today (2017)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2017-a-t284878.html)

retiredteacher09 01-07-2017 08:52 AM

Kris P- I have only been to SR Harris twice. I am glad both stores are a distance away. :)

My next organizing goal is to 'map' my sewing room. I need to divide it into sections and then make a list of what is stored there. I know my 2 rolling carts by my sewing machine are labeled. One has 'girly' fabrics in strips and squares from 1 1/2"-4 1/2". The other one has more 'boy' type of fabric in those sizes.

Time to get busy! This will be a perfect goal for those times where my back needs a sewing break. Lol!

Connie

marge954 01-07-2017 11:53 AM

I'm down to my last cleaning and organizing chore. I have small pieces of batting that will work for table runners and mug rugs. The batting was stuck in a drawer in the office supply bin so I threw all the batting out onto the middle of the exercise room floor. When DH starts watching Netflix tonight I am going to pile it up, measure it, trim it and get it sorted into 2 different sizes. I have enough pants hangers that I'm hanging all of it in the back of my walk in closet where I can get to it instead of having to search for two days trying to remember the last place I moved it to!

oksewglad 01-07-2017 01:22 PM

I like the pants hanger/batting idea...after I measured mine I put it in a tote...I have been able to pick up nice ones at our local second hand shop, so I have them on hand.

mollymunchkin 01-07-2017 06:35 PM

I have been cleaning my room a little all week. I sorted two tubs of fabric, taking out the small scraps and ironing and folding them so that I know what I have and can find it when I need it. It's back to school on Monday, so the cleaning will slow down, but I hope to get a tub a week sorted.

Rhonda Lee 01-07-2017 07:55 PM

I've organized a couple of mountains of scraps this year. My new motto is "no scrap left behind." When I complete or move on to another project the scraps get taken care of at that point. I still have a couple more mountains of scraps to tame but I only spend 15 or 20 mins. max every day on them. Sometimes it isn't easy to quit but I have to if I want to sew or quilt. Bit by bit they are finding new homes. However, now I am disciplining myself to take care of currant scraps so they are not added to the remaining mountains. I'm happy to say it is really working. Today I cut 10" squares for practicing fm. Top, back, and batting. 25 of them The front fabric was already cut into the 10" squares, but the fabric for the back had to be resized from bias cuts. What a mess! I absolutely did not want to do anything with the scraps that were left over! But I did and I feel good. No, I feel really great. No scrap was left behind!!!! This is a big accomplishment for me.

oksewglad 01-07-2017 08:51 PM

Rhonda Lee you could use those FMQ squares as pot holders....if they needed to be thicker...put 2 of them together and bind them. Our church basement kitchen is always needing pot holders and fancy isn't important, functional is....

rryder 01-08-2017 07:49 AM

Yesterday while it was snowing and the wind was howling I once again upgraded my sewing area by taking apart a jury-rigged "table" that I had made using a piece of wood that was laying over some stacked crates at one end, and one of those old revolving cd carousel racks at the other (needless to say it was not very sturdy and couldn't be used for anything other than being another horizontal space to stack stuff on. I replaced it with a real table that I made using the piece of wood from the jury-rigged table and some adjustable legs that I got off of eBay. It was super easy, and now I have a table that can actually be used for sewing or cutting. It looks a lot better too.

Earlier this week I organized the fabric that came out of my grandmother's house. There are also a bunch of patterns dating from the early 50's through the mid 80's that need to be sorted. Most of the fabric is home dec, but I can use a lot of it in my art pieces since grandma favored solids over prints. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

Not sure what to do with the patterns, there are a lot of them and from what I can tell without actually opening the envelopes a lot of them are uncut. Since they're mostly clothing patterns they are not things I would use, but at the same time, I don't want to just toss them either.

Rob

Geri B 01-08-2017 08:06 AM

See if an older adult group, church group, or school can use tho patterns.

zozee 01-08-2017 12:09 PM

Scraps! Giving away several packages of them, so be watching the section called "Offers." Game is in progress !

Rhonda Lee 01-08-2017 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 7736102)
Rhonda Lee you could use those FMQ squares as pot holders....if they needed to be thicker...put 2 of them together and bind them. Our church basement kitchen is always needing pot holders and fancy isn't important, functional is....

good idea! thanks!