Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What's a Girl To Do With Her Magazines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/whats-girl-do-her-magazines-t204767.html)

fktsewing 11-23-2012 04:56 AM

I have 3 small hanging file holders. I take a hanging file folder and place the center of the magazine over the top of the hanger part and file them. This is better than the magazine holders because they do not slide and bend. I weed out once a year and if I only want one pattern out of a magazine, then I tear it out and put it in a notebook in a plastic sleeve. Works great.

Rose Marie 11-27-2012 07:21 AM

So far I havnt run out of room for mags. I keep them in mag holders that are cardboard or plastic and are cheap.
Sorted by company and date. Then I take large file cards and write one line, location, page and a brief discription for all the patterns I like.
When I run out of room for more mags will donate all the ones with no patterns in them that I wanted.

quiltjoey 11-27-2012 08:05 PM

I have shelves and shelves and boxes and boxes of mags and books. They take up a lot of space. I am in the process of scanning and saving them on my computer/disks/ and stick drives. I have a huge hard drive and a time machine to back up everything. So that what I am doing with all the patterns. I purchased EQ 7 about 2 years and go and it has more quilt patterns I could ever use or I can design my. Space is so important to me in my small sewing room so I decided this is the best way for me to do things.

madamepurl 12-03-2012 06:39 AM

Some good ideas here. I had to move my magazine stash out to top of a big cabinet in the living room. It's motivating me to go through them, cut out what I want and then start getting the rest out to recycling or out of the house. I'm thinking I may scan mine in and store them as well as the paper ones, just because with my fabric stash, I'm running out of room.

grandmajuki 12-03-2012 07:56 PM

The minute I get a magazine i go through it and use postit notes to tab what I like if there are no tabs i give it away immediately... End of year I go through the ones i tabbed and if they are worth keeping i copy the pattern and give the magazine away.. keep them in a binder.
j

Debbie C 12-23-2012 05:02 AM

this is a great idea - I took your advice and found packages of 100 plastic page protectors in my local Costco. (I bought 2 of them) I neatly trimmed out the pages I wanted from my stash of quilt magazines and filled them into a 3" binder. All the trimmed out magazines I donated to my library. My shelves are neater and my quilt buddy at the local library is a happy camper! Thank you for this!

Marrinb123 12-28-2012 07:12 AM

I have a four-drawer filing cabinet in my home office. The top two drawers are dedicated to family filing stuff, but the bottom two drawers are filled with my magazines. I bought color coded hanging file folders (blue for quilting, green for crocheting, purple for 'other crafts' and my magazine collection - at least most of it - resides in these two drawers. a few years ago I had culled out a large selection of 'Magic Crochet' magazines that I didn't think I'd ever want again and donated them to Salvation Army. Naturally, that's when someone asked me to make a certain project and I didn't have the pattern! If your magazines are out of print, as some of mine were, you can always sell them on Ebay.